We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray -- Dive + Snorkel Boat

Los Angeles...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Manta Ray -- Dive + Snorkel Boat

Headed to Kona over Christmas, and we have a mix of divers and snorkelers who want to see the manta rays. Can anyone recommend a boat that does both well?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Manta Ray -- Dive + Snorkel Boat

Nice review Pounette166.

<<the myth that dolphins are trying to "play with" snorkelers and "invite them to swim" with tail slapping and other behavior that in fact is warning behavior and evidence of distress.>>

Shea, well stated. This is what many visitors do not realize. As someone who works in the field of marine mammals, I appreciate your efforts to help with awareness.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
6 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Manta Ray -- Dive + Snorkel Boat

Cheers for the heads up on the dolphins Shea. The reason we went with Coral Reef was they were the only ones (out of 4 companies) that bothered getting back to me when I was trying to book from Australia by phone and/ or email.....will be warned though for next time.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
112 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Manta Ray -- Dive + Snorkel Boat

We also used Jack's, after researching all the companies and the recommendations from the TA DE's even though there were some companies cheaper. Excellent trip, comfortable, professional, not crowded as I have read from other companies jamming people on their boats. From the minute they had to help me with my wet suit (yup, had never worn one before, it was pretty funny) - they were WONDERFUL !! The last time I snorkeled was 30 years ago. They put me at ease and made me feel very comfortable. We had no divers on our trip so I can't comment on that but our group was so friendly and so much fun !! I get seasick easily and got a script from my doctor before our trip for a patch to put behind my ear, and enjoyed every second of our trip ! I would definitely use Jack's, they have proven to have great equipment, comfortable boats and knowledgeable, professional, helpful and friendly staff.

34. Re: Manta Ray -- Dive + Snorkel Boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, December 07, 2013
Ohio
Level Contributor
91 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Manta Ray -- Dive + Snorkel Boat

Any company recommendations konalizza? Already booked for Jack's at this time, but I can change it.

Edited: 8:04 pm, December 07, 2013
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,691 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Manta Ray -- Dive + Snorkel Boat

I personally don't think going on a smaller boat is better. For starters they're more prone to causing seasickness. Also there are so many people in the water that it makes absolutely no difference how many you come with, you're all in the soup at the same time, so to speak. I've done the mantadive or snorkel with probably a good 75% of the companies currently operating and haven't noticed any better service or a more personal experience with small boats versus Jack's or BI divers (neither of which are huge). And Jack's is hands down the most knowledgeable since they pioneered the entire experience, and they have the best videographer

I do tend to prefer smaller boats for traditional scuba but this is a different animal.

New England
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Manta Ray -- Dive + Snorkel Boat

Shea, We can't go with Jack's because they don't go out on the night we will be there. Who is your next choice. Thanks in advance.

New England
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Manta Ray -- Dive + Snorkel Boat

Read another thread and found the answer. :)

39. Re: Manta Ray -- Dive + Snorkel Boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona