We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ironman 2014 advice

UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ironman 2014 advice

Evening all, my husband has just qualified for ironman 2014 & were currently looking to book accommodation.

As well be there for up to2 weeks we thought a condo would be best so that we are able to prepare some meals as well as eat out. The kona reef seems a good location & walking distance for the main event, we're keen to be on the ocean...any opinions?

We will also have 4/5 daysvaftervthe race to do some sightseeing before heading back to the uk, so any must do tips would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance, julia

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ironman 2014 advice

Yes to what BobandDi said, and that time of year you need AC if it's not direct oceanfront.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ironman 2014 advice

congratulations! That's a great accomplishment!

Ontario
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Ironman 2014 advice

Hale Kona Kai is always fully booked year in-year out during Ironman by media personnel.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ironman 2014 advice

Congratulations ! ! It is great you have so much time to plan. My son qualified July 28 for this year and was only cleared to go from his professors in mid August, but everything is coming together with the help of TA. We will have 2 nights after the race and are headed to VNP staying at Ho’Ola Guest House which looks amazing. Reading all the posts and the advice of the experts, all the research on things to do is a lot of the fun ! Wish I had more time to dream about it, but we leave in 6 days - yikkes ...

15. Re: Ironman 2014 advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:32 am, October 14, 2013
16. Re: Ironman 2014 advice

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:09 pm, October 10, 2013
17. Re: Ironman 2014 advice

Removed on: 8:32 am, October 14, 2013
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ironman 2014 advice

Hello, we are holidaying in Hawaii in sept, are you able to give me the dates of the triathlon for 2014. Cheers Linda

19. Re: Ironman 2014 advice

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:47 pm, November 06, 2015
Edited: 3:47 pm, November 06, 2015
Captain Cook, Hawaii
Level Contributor
18 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Ironman 2014 advice

Iron people and family. I is always quite a chore to find lodging in town. Post in big Island wanted ads on C/List such as "Housing needed for family of 4" during the Ironman Kona 2014 for Oct. 1st to 14th Will keep it clean and pay a deposit up front". You may add "also need a legal vehicle-does not have to be new) some people decide to leave town and may let you rent the car like to a family member> Be careful tho. Do follow Trip Advisor for where to eat and such. Some peopkle. If you have Special needs I may have some contact info for you. I am just a fan and not a property owner or manager but do know many who are. there are a few nice quiet ones such as Hale Maluhia a B and B on Hualalai road but Pastor Ken Smith the owner may already be booked. It is better for couple or single there as the rooms are not large. Try up in Waikoloa which does not put you too far from the race and training on the mountain is safer. Make a few runs down to the Highway to get used to the winds. You can even come out there to cheer down at the Highway Intersection and head back to your room. the finish is likely where many of you want to head to but you may have to park above the ruckus of town. but do snoop around and get the lay of the land so you do not miss your favs. I have a nice collection of old stuff and on course phots and was a race Securtiy Director Volunteer. also try down in South Kona. I would think IM offers a share housing site? bring your appetite since we have some sweet spots and Great Kona coffee but do not buy blend if you really want the best. 100% real only for my cup plz. bobb

Edited: 12:07 pm, February 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona