We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kona Brewing CO

central coast
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kona Brewing CO

we will be visiting Kona in a little over 2 weeks and reading into it the Kona Brewing CO looks great and is just around the corner from my hotel as well

Is it worthwhile doing the tour of Kona Brewing Co and what is the atmosphere like there to drink a few beers in the afternoon or even eat a meal - thoughts would be appreciated

Big Island Duck Adventures
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Duck Tours, Boat Tours
Epic! Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Gray Line - Polynesian Adventure Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,691 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kona Brewing CO

Never done a tour but we do enjoy dinner there several times a trip and my crew loves the sampler choices and their pizza. I like the salads and sandwiches. Fun place and we've had great service.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kona Brewing CO

Mediocre food, indifferent staff....and beer that can be bought anywhere.

The outdoor seating area is designed so as to discourage airflow....rather stifling. No view, whatsoever.

We give it a pass these days.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kona Brewing CO

It's my favorite beer. Generally a good amount of people at the bar and the restaurant. Never taken the brewery tour, but I've done tours at other breweries and I find it interesting as they all have a slightly different take.

Tonopah, Nevada
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kona Brewing CO

Just ate there last night, we love it! very relaxed, staff are ok. food is pretty good.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kona Brewing CO

I was always bothered by the stuffy lack of air flow, and all the flies during the day. It is not that special. I used to go there, but I didn't like it when they relocated the entrance. The last time I tried to go, the wait for a table was just stupid, so we went elsewhere.

I think it does not have a lot to compete with as most eateries in Kailua Kona are even less worthwhile.

Edited: 1:33 am, August 08, 2013
cmd
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
522 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kona Brewing CO

Pizza is OK, but too bready for my taste. I prefer thinner crust wood fired pizzas. I don't have anything negative to say about the staff, but nothing was memorable either. I think they did a good job with the outdoor eating area considering where they are located (industrial park). You really can't tell you in are in the industrial part of Kona town while sitting in their outdoor area.

If you like IPAs, their Castaway IPA is decent. I really liked their Pacifier IPA. Can't comment on their other beers since I'm a Hophead. I usually stop by there once a trip. It's worth your time to go at least once.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,092 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kona Brewing CO

Nothing at all special and certainly not how I'd want to spend even a minute of my vacation time in Hawaii. Reminiscent of a gazillion similar faux pub places on the mainland. Check out Big Island Brewhaus in Waimea.

Edited: 2:04 am, August 08, 2013
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kona Brewing CO

Mehana beer is brewed in Hilo, partnered with Hawaii Nui craft beer, tasting room.

http://hawaiinuibrewing.com/

Near UH Hilo in light industrial area.

Edited: 3:48 am, August 08, 2013
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kona Brewing CO

Actually the easiest landmark is that Mehana is across from the Hawaii Community College. Convenient!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kona Brewing CO

Oh yeah.....all those flies at KBC......What's up with that.....No Thank-you.....

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona