We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting married on a state beach next year? Advise.

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting married on a state beach next year? Advise.

I was wondering if someone could assist me? My fiancee and I plan on getting married on the big island next year in June, and want to get married on the beach but was wondering if anyone has done this or has advice? I believe you have to get a permit? I dont think you allowed to have chairs on the beach? Does anyone recommend a certain beach to do it on? Also does anyone have any recommendations on where to have our reception after the wedding? We were orginally were thinking about doing everything at LAVA LAVA BEACH CLUB, but now are considering different options. We also were considering having the reception at ROY's after but they dont have a closed hall so we would be with the rest of the restaurant. We plan on having about 25 people attending.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Getting married on a state beach next year? Advise.

also, does anyone have any recommendations for catering services? We would really like great food, but doesnt have to be fancy as long as it taste great.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Getting married on a state beach next year? Advise.

There are no beaches to speak of in Kailua Kona, hence no beachfront rentals. There are some beaches on the north Kona coast but they don't have rentals on them.

I like Paradise Gourmet for catering.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Getting married on a state beach next year? Advise.

Depends on how you define beach. If a patch of sand is OK, there are more. If you want a beautiful wide sandy beach then there are few.

There are some nice villas on the Kolea oceanfront at Waikoloa Beach Resort. My son worked on one that was just finishing up and we got to spend some time there one day. It was a six million dollar home. The master closets were suitable to hang clothes for a large wedding party. I may have had homes smaller than the closets. ;-). Pool and jacuzzi in front, gourmet kitchen, large space for entertainment, but those places rent for a lot of money, upwards of 1000 a night and often more.

Mauna Kea resort has some amazing villas, but these are for the rich to play. One was used for the Finale of one of the Bachelor or Bachelorette shows.

Kona Bay Estates just north of town (walking distance) has some large homes with pools on the ocean and a lot are rentals. The beach there is tidepools with a little sand.

Beach is not a good place for reception, unless your really want the general public traipsing through your party. They have every right to do so ...

At Anaeho'omalu there is that one reception area I mentioned, which can be roped off, under the trees.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Getting married on a state beach next year? Advise.

Hi. My husband and I did a vow renewal last Sept on the Big Island. We used a company called Kona Weddings, Danny is the pastor, Helen his wife is the photographer and they helped us coordinate beach, permits, flowers, and a number of other things. They can help you with your wedding license as well. They are really nice people and we had a beautiful time with them. They have a website that you can check out.

Congratulations!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Getting married on a state beach next year? Advise.

And the DEʻs met them at the Beach Tree, and can attest they looked happy! They also treated us to cocktails, but that is not "yet" a requirement for getting married or renewed, although ... ;-) <kidding>

but thank you Cindy!

Is Kona Weddings the same as Kona Beach Weddings, or are they two companies?

Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Getting married on a state beach next year? Advise.

They are two different companies KK. We went thru www.konaweddings.com If you look at their website under Sept 2012 you will see two pics of Walt and I that Helen took. She did such a wonderful job on the photos and Danny her hubby is the minister, such a kind soul. It couldn't of been a more perfect celebration for us!

You are so welcome KK, regarding the drinks. We really enjoyed meeting with you, Shea and Michael, It was great to put faces and memories with all the wonderful help that you two and other TA people helped us with, for our renewal, the places to stay, the beaches to visit, the restaurants that really rocked, (like our fav the Beach Tree) TA is very lucky to have people like you to help "newbies" with things we need help with! I had been to the BIg Island many times, but didn't have a clue about alot of things and you guys were a big help!

Hope to see you next year,...Maui this year in Oct/Nov for mom's 80th birthday! Take care! Cindy

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Getting married on a state beach next year? Advise.

Aloha, Cindy! :)

I appreciate your kind words for us.

Thanks for posting the link to the wedding planners who took such good care of you and Walt. :)

18. Re: Getting married on a state beach next year? Advise.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 19, 2014