We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kona Itinerary for August. Help appreciated.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kona Itinerary for August. Help appreciated.

This is our proposed itinerary for the Kona trip in August. How does it look?

Saturday, August 17, 2013

7:00am Flight Departs for Hawaii

7:30pmHT Arrive in Kona, get rental cars, etc

Dinner somewhere someplace

Sunday, August 18, 2013

• Breakfast in Kona at Farmer’s Market

• Shop for food, booze, etc.

• Explore the Resort, chill, beach, etc

• Sunset Dinner at nearby Tiki Bar

Monday, August 19, 2013

• Breakfast

• Beach Day

• Head to Kua Bay Beach and Hapuna State Park Beach

• Dinner at Resort or Sunset Dinner at Don’s Mai Tai or other tiki bar

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

• Breakfast

• Volcanoes National Park today

• Stop by Info Center and find guided Tour of the Park (from Ranger) and hike on own

• Dinner at Resort

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

• Breakfast

• Catamaran Day

• Dinner at Resort

Thursday, August 22, 2013

• Breakfast

• Chill at Resort and/or nearby beaches during day

• Helicopter Tour from Hapuna Beach (afternoon)

• Mauna Kea Evening Tour

• Dinner at Resort

Friday, August 23, 2013

• Breakfast

• Chill at Resort and/or Beach Day

• Submarine Trip late afternoon

Island Breeze Luau

Saturday, August 24, 2013

• Breakfast

• Chill at Resort til time to depart for airport

5:00pm Depart for Airport

Sunday, August 25, 2013

5:30PM Approximate time Group returns home

Mentioned in this post
Island Breeze Luau
Island Breeze Luau
1,085 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,015 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kona Itinerary for August. Help appreciated.

Where are you staying? You mention a resort and nearby beaches but that really doesn't describe anything in "Kona" except maybe the Four Seasons? You also mention a "nearby tiki bar" and meals at the Royal Kona Resort, so if that's your hotel, it's really not a resort and there's no beach or nearby beaches to explore, and I'd avoid the restaurant. It's also IMO not a good choice of lodging so if you aren't locked in to it, I'd do more research.

The "farmers market" in Kailua Kona is really not very good. A lot of people hawking stolen and Costco produce and cheap Asian trinkets.

It would probably be helpful if you say who is coming and what their ages and interests are. If you've posted this elsewhere, sorry to make you repeat, but I can't really keep up with remembering everyone.

I personally think the submarine tour and commercial luau could be skipped, your itinerary is really heavy on paid tours and short on Hawaiian culture and history as well as snorkeling and swimming, but that might be by design given your group, so a little more info would be helpful.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kona Itinerary for August. Help appreciated.

thanks for the input....we are staying at the Wyndham Kona. the catamaran day is for snorkeling and swimming with some other "beach" days for that as well. good advice on the farmer's market. where would you recommend for a good breakfast and also for sunset drinks? thanks again.

Southern California
Level Contributor
31 posts
849 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kona Itinerary for August. Help appreciated.

I agree with the first poster, if you are not locked into the hotel might I suggest the Courtyard which is very close to many restaurants and they have their own luau in front of the hotel.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,015 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kona Itinerary for August. Help appreciated.

I would still give a pass to most of your tours and the luau but again I'm not clear on who is traveling and how many.

Ok, Wyndham. I presume you have a timeshare. As I indicated, there's no beaches to speak of near there and you don't need any time to "explore" the resort, there's nothing there. The units are perfectly fine, not dissing them, just noting that you will need to go off property to find stuff to do, and well away for beaches and snorkeling.

Splashers has a decent breakfast in town. The Mai Tai bar at RKR and Huggos next door are popular cocktail spots. I don't particularly like any of the restaurants in Kailua Kona except Rapa Nui which is near the pier and is quite good (but small).

When you're out and about exploring in the north you can get good lunches and dinners in Waimea, Waikoloa Beach, Four Seasons, Mauna Lani, and there's a new casual Italian place opening in Waikoloa Village on August 1, by renowned former Four Seasons Chef James Babian.

Edited: 3:47 pm, June 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Splashers
Splashers
120 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kona Itinerary for August. Help appreciated.

awesome, thanks again for your help! there will be about 20 of us and we all have different interests. we will definitely be leaving the wyndham to get out and explore but do plan a couple of days to just relax at the condo and the pool.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kona Itinerary for August. Help appreciated.

You are going to enjoy the Wyndam...lovely condos and great for a group trip. We stay just next door at the Worldmark and always have a wonderful time.

We really enjoy the Kona Inn, it's always our last night dinner with or without the fam, but the Happy hours at Don's and Huggo's are great fun!

Prepare for a looong day driving to the Volcano. So worth it!

Mentioned in this post
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
Canada
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kona Itinerary for August. Help appreciated.

The Wyndam Kailua-Kona Resort is undergoing roof replacements on their condo units for a 2 month period of time this Summer (July 19- Sept 21) ...Sounds like a fairly substantial job. You may want to request a unit away from the bulk of the construction....if that's possible.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,015 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kona Itinerary for August. Help appreciated.

With such a large group I would definitely look into making reservations at the Beach Tree which is a gorgeous ocean/beachfront setting with some of the best food in the state, and very good hula and music most nights. Perfect for sunsets too.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kona Itinerary for August. Help appreciated.

Best breakfast (but you have to drive) is at Sam Choy's in Keauhou, overlooking the Keauhou Shopping Center and the beautiful Pacific Ocean. The Beach Tree Grill is great at the Four Seasons, as SheaG said. Dinner or lunch, most likely, and a bit pricey. Other Kona restaurants not mentioned above that are worth a visit are Jackie Rey's (no view, though), Keei Cafe (a bit south), and Krua (Thai, also no view). If your group is into fish and chips, try the Kona Inn, but otherwise, I'd skip it (but do at least walk by the Hulihee Palace).

On your Volcano day, stop at the black sand beach at Punalu'u for a picnic lunch, if you have the time. Snorkeling in Kona is usually quite worthwhile (you might get better equipment, if you want to rent, at one of the dive shops than from the snorkel places) -- and of course and maybe better yet, you can snorkel from one of the catamarans (and use their equipment). I'd recommend the Fair Winds over the Body Glove -- better food and amenities. (Bring mats to sit on but not snorkel equipment to the black sand beach!) If you want a really unusual glimpse into new world ocean technology, try Friends of NELHA, which offers a weekday presentation about aquaculture and renewable energy at NELHA (Natural Energy Lab, Hawaii Authority) at 10 am. I'd recommend reservations at all the organized activities and restaurants for a group that size!

Edited: 4:53 pm, June 30, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Keauhou
Keauhou
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keauhou Shopping Center
Keauhou Shopping Center
113 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kona Itinerary for August. Help appreciated.

Whoops, I forgot Sam Choy's is only offering breakfast on weekends now. Still quite a good and reasonable buffet-style breakfast.

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona