We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner restaurant suggestions for newlyweds

Tujunga, California
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner restaurant suggestions for newlyweds

My brother and his fiancee will be honeymooning in the Kailua-Kona area in August. As a wedding gift, we'd like to give them a gift certificate to a wonderful dinner restaurant in the area. I may be asking too much but here are the features I'm looking for (in order of importance):

1) Great beach/ocean view - indoor or outdoor seating

2) Terrific food - any cuisine

3) Warm ambience - want it to feel magical

4) Live music - not dance music

If you have any suggestions that would come close to this, please let me know. I don't mind spending extra $$$ if I can help them create a perfect evening.

Thank you.

California
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner restaurant suggestions for newlyweds

Although the foods good but not terrific, I would go with the fairly new Lava Lava Beach Club depending on where they are staying. It's a 30 minute or so drive from the airport on the Kohala Coast. Great beach/sunset location.

http://lavalavabeachclub.com/

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner restaurant suggestions for newlyweds

Four Seasons Ulu or Beach Tree. No question really.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,687 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner restaurant suggestions for newlyweds

Yep, 'Ulu at the Four Seasons first, Beach Tree second. 'Ulu's menu is more seafood focused (although they have a stellar Kona coffee encrusted steak and many other non-fish options) and is more expensive, and also more romantic feeling with more couples. Beach Tree is more casual and the menu has an Italian focus. Both have stellar oceanfront locations. Both have live Hawaiian music and hula every night.

Lava Lava has neither terrific food nor a warm ambiance. It's basically a sports bar on the beach. Little local sourcing, a history of chef and staff problems and turnover, and some very odd live music choices.

Tujunga, California
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner restaurant suggestions for newlyweds

Thank you all for the great input! I am sure my brother and new sister-in-law will enjoy the Ulu at the Four Seasons...this place sounds ideal. Wish I could go soon!!!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner restaurant suggestions for newlyweds

We got married and our wedding dinner was at Ulu. It was outstanding. We were seated at the closest table to the crashing waves and enjoyed watching the sea turtles. Unfortunately, there was no entertainment that night but that was fine with us. They also gave us two free drinks for our special night. It was extremely memorable.

San Jose, California
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner restaurant suggestions for newlyweds

Hi,

We are getting married on Big Island too and I was wandering if Ulu restaurant is good for wedding dinner with 15-20 people? If not what restaurant would you advice?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,687 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner restaurant suggestions for newlyweds

Yes, 'Ulu would be perfect for a wedding dinner. They also do private dinner events on the beach with groups that size.

8. Re: Dinner restaurant suggestions for newlyweds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona