We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater camera

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Underwater camera

I have searched for previous posts but didn't find a whole lot. We are coming to the Big Island in 4 days (I know, I know, this is last minute) and I am trying to figure out what to do about taking underwater pictures. We would prefer not to drop $300+ on another digital camera but the disposable cameras had really bad reviews on Amazon. Any advice or suggestions?

Rocky Mountains
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Underwater camera

Dec, is the Costco 2-year warranty standard on cameras? Or is it an extended warranty that you purchased?

Calgary
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Underwater camera

We used our little GoPro for some underwater shots at Hanauma Bay in March and they turned out ok, but the videos were better. GoPros are a little goofy I know but they do work well (though they are ironically 'fish-eyed'). Small, easy to use, but you can't view the pics until you get to a computer.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Underwater camera

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the advice. We ended up getting the Sony Cybershot waterproof camera from Amazon as it had the best overall reviews. I also got a 2 year warranty just in case. We arrived on the Big Island yesterday afternoon and are so excited to start this adventure!!!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,128 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Underwater camera

I love my Cybershot. You should do the manta ray night snorkel and take video!

Have fun, conditions will be best today and tomorrow, with a larger WNW swell due in Sunday for the Kona Kohala Coast.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Underwater camera

*bump*

I'm looking at a waterproof camera to take with me to the BI for when snorkelling with the manta rays, plus anywhere else we go.

I have a Sony HX9V and housing is available...but for like $350! I don't think so. I bought like a waterproof bag to use with the camera (Dicapac) but it's bulky and the lens cover gets in the way.

Eyeing off a used Canon D10 on eBay.

If all else fails, will buy a disposable camera, but really want to take video whilst snorkelling.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Underwater camera

I have a DSLR and housing and strobes and stuff for underwater photography which takes great photos but most of my wife's luggage allowance to take anywhere. :)

On a recent dive trip I was really impressed with the results that people were getting with GoPro's. They're tiny and incredibly versatile. Even the older original ones are good enough for YouTube in ambient light at 30m. I like the D10 (it's bit bulky though) but I think I'd go for a GoPro if you already have a camera.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Underwater camera

Go Pro or even under $100 cameras like Kodak ZX3 or ZX5 are great for video.

But Go pro is great because you can easily mount it on your head, switch it on and forget it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Underwater camera

GoPro's aren't cheap though here in Australia. Cheapest is $268 for the GoPro HD Hero3 5MP

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Underwater camera

Ask around. You may find someone that has an older one sitting in a drawer that you can borrow. Next step would be to look on eBay.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
601 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Underwater camera

Hi

I also asked the same question myself earlier this year. You can find that thread at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k64490…

After reading the suggestions offered as well as reading numerous reviews have decided to buy the Nikon Coolpix AW110 as I think it will best meet our needs, but am just waiting for it to go on sale as we don't need it for our trip till Nov.

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona