We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it still more rainy on Hilo side vs Kona? Where to stay..

Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is it still more rainy on Hilo side vs Kona? Where to stay..

My son and I are travellng to the BI (Apr.19-May11) and I was told since there is so much vog in Kona that now it's actually sunnier in Hilo area? I'm confused. I don't even know how many days to book in that area (to see the volcano, thermal ponds, lava tubes, Hilo) would like to show my

son (22) some of the sites in that area, but don't know how many days it might take to do these things. It would suck if we booked a week in this area and only needed a wknd or so and to be in rain or drizzle the whole time.

We've been in -45 below zero all winter and in need of some welcomed sunshine and warm.

Any help with this would be great. Tks

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it still more rainy on Hilo side vs Kona? Where to stay..

The sunny part of the island is the Kohala Coast. It's one of the sunniest and driest spots in the U.S. This is where the best beaches are. Volcano National Park is about a 3 hour drive from there. Hilo is one of the rainiest spots in the U.S. April gets 12.5 inches of rain and May gets about 8 inches. The Kohala Coast, on the other hand, gets about 7 inches per YEAR. Volcano will be cool and wet, but not as wet as Hilo. There are 13 climate zones on the Big Island.

Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it still more rainy on Hilo side vs Kona? Where to stay..

Tks for that info. This helps with travel plans, as I don't even know what more there is to do in this area

besides seeing the Volcano, some lava tubes, warm ponds......so maybe 3 days of this would be plenty?

and then head towards Hamakua, Hawi area?

Tks for your help

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it still more rainy on Hilo side vs Kona? Where to stay..

How many nights do you have on The Big Island?

It looks like 3 weeks to me. You could easily spend one week in the south Kohala / Waikoloa area for beaches and sun. One week in Hilo/Puna area to visit the Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park, Hilo and Hamakua coast. One week in the south Kona or Holualoa area to enjoy the highter altitude / coffee areas.

The sunniest/warmest will be south Kohala / Waikoloa. The VOG comes and goes. The Hilo side will always be the wettest.

You will need a car rental for the entire time.

4. Re: Is it still more rainy on Hilo side vs Kona? Where to stay..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona