We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

late evening arrival - will anything be open?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coquitlam, BC...
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
late evening arrival - will anything be open?

We arrive at 8:30 pm and once we get the rental car and head out to the Sheraton, I'm wondering if anything will be open so we can grab a snack or drink. I checked the Sheraton website and it looks like their restaurant will be closed. Will there be a store along the way that might be open to grab some beer/wine and a bit of food? Snack food would be fine, just something to fill the gap til the next day.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: late evening arrival - will anything be open?

Safeway will be open, for food and liquor (sold until 11 PM), and Walmart would be open as well, if you need other types of things. Safeway's deli and hot food section will be closed, but still plenty to buy.

Coquitlam, BC...
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: late evening arrival - will anything be open?

Oh, that's great! Is either one on the main road when we're driving towards Kona (ie will we be able to see it or do I need to put the address in my GPS to find it)?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: late evening arrival - will anything be open?

It's right above the central intersection when you come into town, so if you map it first it's easy.

You come into town on the main highway and the intersection is Palani, which I believe is the first signal after Makala where K-Mart and Macy's are.

Walmart is right above you.

Safeway is above Walmart in an upper level of the shopping center with a separate entrance off of the next street, Henry.

Turn left on Palani and then make a right into the Safeway lot.

After you hit Safeway, return to highway and continue south until you get to the turn for Keauhou, for the Sheraton.

Edited: 6:49 pm, February 26, 2013
4. Re: late evening arrival - will anything be open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 28, 2014