We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Weather

We are heading there on Tuesday for 11 days and the extended forecast looks horrible......It shows rain everyday as the week of the 18th nears. Are these forecasts accurate or is it simply a rain shower coming through quickly.........it also show extremely windy on some the weather sites I have found.

Can anyone lie to me and tell me not to worry as it will be great.....Have 4 golf games booked also. I'm stressed ;)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,649 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Weather

What happened was that during your stay, the Kohala Coast had its bad weather period, high wind, its rare bad hair day if you will. No doubt the windy period helped clear the vog out of Kailua-Kona as well.

Nevertheless, as a general thing year round, the comments made by the DE's and other regular posters are quite accurate. The Kohala coast has far fewer excessively windy days than Keauhou has excessively voggy and cloudy days.

You experienced an anomaly, for which I am glad for your sake. :)

Edited: 4:01 pm, February 23, 2013
canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Weather

To clarify, I was not only happy because of the weather ( which I cannot control no matter where we stay ) but for the location. The location is simply much more better . . . . I am not so sure why yourself and other DE's would not agree ? Meaning the resorts along the Kohola coast which might include Fairmont, Hilton, Marriott etc., etc., are inclusive to that one little resort area - - - How do people really get to experience the culture of the locals and eat at local restaurants etc., Eating at Ruth Chris steak house I can do anytime I visit the U.S.

I also mentioned that we met several people who spend not only a few weeks but months at a time in the Keahou area ( I think I spelt that correct ) - They never once said we were experiencing an anomoly ? Would be odd as for a straight 10 days the weather was lovely........

Now don't get me wrong as the previous poster said the FS is a fantastic place as she got a great deal for her friends at $700.00 / night. I honestly don't think that is the average traveller spending that kind of money per night.

We golfed with locals also and they said the Hapuna area generally is usually always windier ? hmmm ????

So, anomoly or not, yes you are correct I am glad for my sake also :) Thanks and enjoy your beautiful island.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,431 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Weather

I hope you post a TR as well as a post in the Top Questions link as to why you love staying in the Kona district!

I'm only posting this because you asked, I think the choice of lodging involves a lot of subjective factors and I appreciate and am glad you enjoyed your stay. The reason I prefer the Kohala Coast is detailed in many threads, including the Top Question on the Kohala Coast. The weather you experienced was an anomaly. It rained the way week I spent in Fiji, but I don't presume it's that way all the time. I've lived here for more than 15 years, and as a general rule, it's sunnier, and much less voggy in South Kohala. And actually it was very voggy in Kailua Kona during your stay.

But way more than that, there is nothing more "local" about the Kailua Kona or Keauhou areas. While there is a Ruth's Chris in South Kohala, there's a Bubba Gump and other corporate restaurants in Kailua Kona. There are many great restaurants on the Kohala Coast dedicated to island farmers and local fish and cuisine. In fact as far as good restaurants go serving fresh fish, meats and local produce, I'll take the Kohala districts over Keauhou or Kailua Kona any day.

Moreover, while Waikoloa Beach has "paved over paradise" like Kailua Kona and Keauhou, the Mauna Lani and environs has remained an oasis. It is very Hawaiiana, with a commitment to native vegetation and preservation, and so on all the reasons mentioned here ad nauseum. There is nothing like it in Kailua Kona or anywhere else in the state. It has easy access to the heiaus and historical areas that thrum with mana, the Kohala Mountains with their spectacular colors, the amazing lush valleys, and of course the quiet beaches with hidden queens baths, the historic Ala Kahakai shoreline trail, and great whale watching. I love the spectacular views from South Kohala of all the mountains, the clear horizon ocean views, the clean air, people being outnumbered by turtles, and of course the upcountry where I live.

I frankly dread going into Kailua Kona, both because of the crush of people and vog and lack of good food but also, and perhaps mainly, the inability to have a great beach and ocean experience. I understand the people who aren't beach or ocean people and want to be in a tourist town with shopping and bars. I'm just not one of them. YMMV.

Miamisburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Weather

Glad you had a good trip -- could have told you that you would have, even though most on here wanted to scare you off to spending more $$. Have been staying in the Keahou Bay area for 20+ years and the weather is always great. So it gets a little cloudy in the afternoon? Big deal...I can count on one hand the number of times it has rained during the day while we've been there.

Tried to play golf up on the Kohala coast area a couple of times and was about blown into the ocean. Now we always stick to KCC for golf, or Makalei or BICC.

25. Re: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona