We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hitchhiking

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Hitchhiking

Hey,

My husband and I will be on the Big Island for 10 days. We have a car for half that time (the last half) which means we're five days without wheels. We'll be staying in Kona.

So. How is hitchhiking on the Big Island? Is it a viable option?

Please don't reply with how dangerous hitchhiking is - unless there is something peculiar to the Big Island going on. I've hitchhiked lots and am comfortable with it and in fact love it.

Thanks!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,122 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hitchhiking

Well, the WHT headline is really irresponsible and they'll be lucky if they don't get sued. The Prosecutor dropped the sex assault charges as part of the guy's plea deal, so he pled to kidnapping and theft. It looks like there were problems with proving the assault charges. Regardless, calling him a "rapist" in the media is pretty unconscionable.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15,756 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Hitchhiking

A couple of years ago, we were driving in Volcanoes and we there were a couple of hikers. Well, it was inside the park and the guys looked clean cut so, against my better judgment, we picked them up and took them to the next stop. These two guys were from Europe and I'm telling you, I don't know if they had ever used a bar of soap. Their body odor was horrendous and it left a lasting aroma in our vehicle. I could not wait to get them off the car quick enough. Sadly enough, that freaking aroma stayed with us until we go back Wailea.. I will NEVER, EVER, NEVER again pick up a hitch hiker. Made me regret selecting that name as my screenname

Kona
Level Contributor
2,557 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Hitchhiking

Shea, thanks for that clarification - but even if they couldn't "prove" sexual assault, 6 months intermittent jail time for kidnapping and robbery is still a ridiculously lenient sentence, especially when the guy was on parole for another crime! I truly do not get it.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,122 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Hitchhiking

I totally agree, just didn't like the inaccurate and irresponsible headline.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,557 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Hitchhiking

Well, the WHT did just lose its editor . . . :-)

When they originally arrested him, it was because the DNA evidence taken from the victim came back with a match for the alleged rapist. It really shouldn't have been too hard to prove!

Anyway, I've hitchhiked here in the past due to car problems - but stories like these have cured me of that.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,358 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Hitchhiking

lol, HitchHiker!

The last time I gave a ride, down near Kapoho, it was to a couple who seemed to have dumped a bottle of patchouli oil over themselves to hide the body odor. It was horrible, so I know just what you mean! Never again!

27. Re: Hitchhiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona