We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drop-in childcare for a 5 year old in Kailua-Kona or Waikola

Sammamish, Wa
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Drop-in childcare for a 5 year old in Kailua-Kona or Waikola

Hi, We are planning a trip to Hawaii in mid May 2013. We would like to do a snorkeling trip that leaves from Kailua-Kona at 9 in the morning. We are staying in Waikola and looked into the Hilton but the hours aren't early enough to make our boat trip. Any ideas other than hiring a nanny? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,529 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drop-in childcare for a 5 year old in Kailua-Kona or Waikola

No ... have never heard a single option mentioned here, only queries that go unanswered.

I doubt you could find a nanny here either.

If you find a solution, please do share it with the forum.

Victoria, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drop-in childcare for a 5 year old in Kailua-Kona or Waikola

Sorry , I could not imagine doing that to a child of 5 years .

My wife and I can't have kids and we could only wish - do yourself a favour and try think of another solution or wait until your child is old enough to go with you . Sorry to sound blunt - I had to reply '' Judge Judy '' style .

LA
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Drop-in childcare for a 5 year old in Kailua-Kona or Waikola

The way people I know handle this is to have one person go snorkeling one day and the other stay with the kid, and then change around and have the other person snorkel another day. Others bring a nanny with them.

I just can't imagine dropping my 5 year old off with strangers and possibly being able to enjoy snorkeling.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drop-in childcare for a 5 year old in Kailua-Kona or Waikola

If you decide to take turns, Ocean Sports has trips that leave right off the beach in Waikoloa Resort, eliminating travel time and shortening the "gap" away from each other.

hawaiioceansports.com/html/snorkel_cruises.h…

Since kids under 6 sail for free, you could all go on one, and take turns being in the water. The Black Sand Beach sail is very nice, we did it last year and will do it again this year. Got to cost less than a nanny.

LA
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Drop-in childcare for a 5 year old in Kailua-Kona or Waikola

Honu- you may have saved the day.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drop-in childcare for a 5 year old in Kailua-Kona or Waikola

Just need to explore all the options :)

Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
95 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drop-in childcare for a 5 year old in Kailua-Kona or Waikola

I would suggest Ocean Sports as well - we used them for a sunset sail with our little boy (18 months old at that time) and he loved it. They were amazingly supportive of having a little one on board. I ended up chasing him around the boat while he "walked" around and around - even though I had to hold his fingers - all he wanted to do was move with the waves, he got better at walking with the waves, and using the cable ropes when needed, than his mom!

We are planning a whale trip when we visit this February with them.

Sammamish, Wa
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Drop-in childcare for a 5 year old in Kailua-Kona or Waikola

Thank you for suggesting this option.

Sammamish, Wa
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Drop-in childcare for a 5 year old in Kailua-Kona or Waikola

Thank you sharing your experience, I am sure our son would love it as well,

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drop-in childcare for a 5 year old in Kailua-Kona or Waikola

I contacted Sheraton Kona where we will be staying next week regarding a similar query and they've given me this contact for local babysitting service

mkcare.com. KamaainaK this is one for future reference!

Would certainly be a better option though to take your child on the boat as suggested I think.

Our situation is that we would like to do the night snorkel with the manta rays and are investigating options for our 5yo son. I think we may end up doing the trip on separate nights - unless anyone has any ideas here?