We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good kine grinds

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alaska
Level Contributor
53 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Good kine grinds

HI all, Looking for some mom and pop restaurants that offer good food at a good price. It doesn't matte rto me whehter its a Lunch wagon or hole in the wall. if its good it good and if its local even better..

If anyone has some current recomendation I would appreciate it.

thanks

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
129 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good kine grinds

I was last on BI in 2008 and am heading back...in 2 days. I would love to make my first stop Pine Tree Cafe near the airport but I'll probably be shot down by the rest of the family or it'll be closed :/

I also want to check out Broke Da Mouth Grindz. It's in a laundromat!

I love Teshima's up in Kealekekua - it's grandmom and pop Japanese food.

Drooling.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good kine grinds

Strawberry Patch restaurant in Kealekekua - see my review! She has lunch and dinner daily except on Sunday, I believe.

Lillikoi Cafe in Waimea - open 7-4 Mon-Sat - I just wrote my review and it should be posted soon.

Waimea Coffee Company is a nice lunch spot, too, at the Parker Square Shops in Waimea.

Alaska
Level Contributor
53 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good kine grinds

Hi DPT1,

thanks for your local hookups. I will try to make it to one of these. i know what you mean some people turn their nose up to some of the local comfort foods. i find that when i travel its usually to hotter warmer regions and my appetite changes.

let me know what you find out on your most recent rip. we will be there for the Merrie Monarch Festival in Hilo on 3/31-4/6/13. and then a week on the Kona side.

Thanks

Alaska
Level Contributor
53 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good kine grinds

Hola or Aloha it is the same...lasfloras

thanks for your suggestions. the lilikoi looks good. Ill be up in the Waimea region and some point f my trip. The biggest problem with vacation is there to much to eat and not enough time...

I'll do my best based on feed back from everyone where we will go...

Mahalo

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good kine grinds

Aloha,

I recommend stopping by Ka'aloa's Super J's if you are near Captain Cook. Grab some amazing food and head down to Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park (Place of Refuge) picnic area.

\nnn/

California
Level Contributor
477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good kine grinds

We always stop by Ken's Pancake House in Hilo. They have a great menu... lots of variety and the food is really good... but I have to be honest... when we've been there (3 or 4 times) the service has been very slow. In fact, if there's anything special you want... you'd better tell your server when she takes or brings your order, because you probably won't see her again until time for the check. Even so, the food is worth the poor service.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good kine grinds

The Manono mini-mart is known for its pastrami sandwiches in Hilo. Just a block away, a new center has opened that now houses a Hilo outlet of Hawaiian Style Cafe and Miyo's Japanese food (which has moved from Waiakea Villas).

My son stopped at HSC (he sometimes goes to the one in Waimea), but was not impressed by his breakfast (large but not prepared as he wanted).

He just said that a breakfast place should be able to pull off an over easy egg and not send out a hard fried egg. The server did take it back with total agreement, but it's annoying to have part of one's food getting cold while the other gets redone).

I only ever go to Ken's late at night when everything else is closed, but last time I got lucky and got a really on the ball (male) server who was clearly an experienced pro -- but he may have moved on now.

Ken's serves really terrible coffee, so that takes it off my list for breakfast.

The 50's diner in Laupahoehoe is definitely a mom and pop lunch stop with a retro feel and menu boosted by genuine memorabilia and a working old time jukebox. If you go, get ready to turn, because blink and you miss the "town" of Laupahoehoe. The diner is on the mauka side on the frontage road -- only a sign is on the highway.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good kine grinds

These kind of questions always confuse me. Are you looking for plate lunch type of food or just good food in a variety of different styles? I personally don't like the "local" brown food; loco moco, teri beef, pork chops, rice, etc that many of the above places offer, but if that's your thing you can do a lot better, IMO, than Pine Tree Cafe. Try Mahi's in Kailua Kona, or the plate lunch booths at the Waimea Farmer's Market on Saturdays. Big Island Grill isn't bad for that kind of food. But for even better food, although not I guess local plate style, there is excellent inexpensive fare at Rapanui in Kailua Kona, Thai food at Original Thai, poke at Da Poke Shack. Good local beef burgers and fresh salads at Annie's in South Kona and Village Burger in Waimea. Very good BBQ and fish at Fish and the Hog in Waimea. In Waimea I also like Pau, Charley's Thai, and Big Island Brewhaus for burritos and craft beer. And while not "mom and pop", there are few things better than sitting at Chef Norio's sushi bar at Monstera or watching Chef Nick fillet a just caught fish and grill it on the beach at the Beach Tree at Hualalai. That's the "local style" I like the best; fresh and organic, just caught and picked, instead of the overlooked, gravy-laden rice and meat plates served at many so-called "local" places.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good kine grinds

*overcooked*, oops.

Alaska
Level Contributor
53 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good kine grinds

Hi Shaka ric, according to the reviews this is probably at least deserves a walk through. Like L&L restsaurants they can be hit or miss. most are good some are ok and few are great..