We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Final Pricing

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
73 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Final Pricing

I've done some searching on the boards, here, and can't find the answer I'm looking for.

If the quote from Discount Hawaii Car Rental is $135/week, are there additional taxes & fees on top of that when you actually arrive? For example, when you book through any standard rental agency (like Hertz or Avis), the cars come up with a price of, say, "$135/week," but when you actually get to the final booking screen, after airport fees and taxes have been applied, it's $300!

I've already got a reservation in December with Hertz for a week + 1 day, picking up at the Sheraton & returning to the airport for $202 including all taxes & fees. Just wanna make sure the quote from Discount Hawaii is "all in."

Anyone?

Thanks.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,990 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Final Pricing

In the 'fine print' under the chart which shows the pricing, it says "subject to applicable taxes", so the price shown is likely just the base price.

When you click on "Reserve this Car' it takes you to a reservation request ... after submitting that, you'll get confirmation from the rental car company (in my case it came from Thrifty), which will have a breakdown & total for the charges.

You can also phone them to obtain a quote (I'm not sure if you get an instant quote, or if they email one to you, as I've only booked on line.)

Aukland
Level Contributor
111 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Final Pricing

Discount Hawaii Car Rental emailed our quote and then we also got confirmation from the appropriate car rental company, both prices were the same and on reading they included everything.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
73 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Final Pricing

Ah, thanks, Susan.

I went ahead and submitted a request and will see what comes back. Sounds like they are very busy for the Thanksgiving holiday, however, so might not hear back for several days, but I will post the results here!

CA
Level Contributor
549 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Final Pricing

The $135 is the base price. The taxes and fees will likely bring the total up to around $235. There are buttons you can click to get an immediate quote, it just takes some playing around to find the correct button.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
73 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Final Pricing

Here is the quote I got back from Discount Hawaii Car Rental (Avis from Dec 8 @ 12 noon through Dec 16 @ 8 p.m.):

Base Rental: $185.22

Charges:

Airport Concession Fee $20.58

Local Tax $10.40

$/dy Customer Facility Chrg $40.50

$/dy Highway Surcharge $27.00

Vehicle License Fee $3.42

Total estimated mandatory charges: $287.12

I think we will stick with Hertz, honestly.

Edited: 5:05 pm, November 19, 2012
6. Re: Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Final Pricing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona