We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals at the end of December (2012)

vancouver
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car rentals at the end of December (2012)

Hello,

We are arriving in Hawaii on Dec 28 with the plan of driving to the Volcano side (near HIlo). However, it seems all the car rental places have sold out of ALL categories of cars. There are no local buses that time of night, and taxis are more than 300.00. Can`t change my flight to HIlo, as the cost is prohibitive and it takes us through Honolulu, rather than straight to the Big Island. We need a car for the 10 days we will be staying.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Terry

Aukland
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rentals at the end of December (2012)

We are arriving there on 26 December and booked our through Discount Hawaii Car Rental, have you tried them? We did book a few months ago though.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,136 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rentals at the end of December (2012)

Is all your lodging over in Hilo for the 10 days?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,629 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rentals at the end of December (2012)

I just checked hotwire.com and they have cars - not cheap though - cheapest is $136 per day . . . I would check out the car company that tvetting mentioned - here is the link. I have used both companies (they are affliated) for the best deals in renting a car in Hawaii, though Christmas break is the most expensive time for everything in Hawaii and many folks book a year ahead in both lodging and car rental, which explains why people are saying they are "out". I would email these companies today - they will quote you a rate, which you can choose to take or not.

discounthawaiicarrental.com/index.shtml

http://www.aloharents.com/

good luck! :)

vancouver
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rentals at the end of December (2012)

We have booked near the volcano, in Kailua Kona and HIlo.

We are there with other members of family.

vancouver
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rentals at the end of December (2012)

I have called Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, and one or two others, and it``s all the same. I will try the link and the advise. Thank you!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rentals at the end of December (2012)

When you say ..you have called.... Did you try the local (808)) number for best results?

hawaii.gov/koa/…car-rentals

With car rental availability ...much of the time it can be the discount code you are applying....that can often open up availability.

Check out "Flyertalk" for some discount code options that just might work..

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,629 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rentals at the end of December (2012)

Priceline still shows cars as well - for $900+ a week. :)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,787 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rentals at the end of December (2012)

Not liking the chances ...

We started telling people in July to book their cars for Christmas right away and check that before buying any air tickets or committing to lodging. That was four months ago, and it's just as we warned it would be ... no cars.

There will be cancellations, as some people are holding multiple reservations, but when they will occur who knows.

You are probably going to have to be very flexible and spend more money as the cost of not booking car when you booked the other segments of your trip. I feel really bad. We see this every year, and it only gets worse.

You should see the posts of people who wait until December. They have no choices at all. Some were here for days without a car or maybe got one for a day or two of their trip.

One thing you can try is booking two rentals. Returning your car may allow you reservation to fit into a window that is open, while 10 days is too long.

Just keep plugging variations into the quotes ...

vancouver
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rentals at the end of December (2012)

Thanks. I will do that. The strategy of booking everything at the same time is a good one if one is a planner. Which I am not. I didn't even know we were going to Hawaii a month ago. I like taking local buses, but at the time we arrive, there are none.

Looks like we may have to double booka hotel.

T.

Elk Grove...
Level Contributor
577 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rentals at the end of December (2012)

A friend of ours decided at last minute to join our family for a holiday trip a few years ago, and she ran into the same thing. Literally NO CARS. It sounds a bit radical, but she ended up renting a pick-up from U-Haul. I don't recall how much it cost, but it wasn't as much as I would have guessed. Not sure if she had limited mileage or not. I do recall that the U-Haul place was a short taxi ride from the airport. It was a nice truck, but it did have the large orange logo on the side, so she was the brunt of a few jokes in the condo complex. :)