We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really necessary to reserve a taxi for airport transfer???

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
320 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Really necessary to reserve a taxi for airport transfer???

This may seem like a stupid question - but friends have told me that I should reserve a taxi to pick me up at the airport tomorrow night. Is this really necessary? - Would think that there is a taxi rank with taxi's lined up waiting to take visitors to their hotels! Can someone please advise me on this?

Thanks!

Kona
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really necessary to reserve a taxi for airport transfer???

Normally, it would absolutely not be necessary to pre-reserve a taxi. But you've chosen a very difficult arrival day - the day of the Ironman competition - so your friends' recommendation might have something to do with that. All normal rules about driving in the Kailua-Kona area go out the window on Ironman day. What time does your flight arrive?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,426 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really necessary to reserve a taxi for airport transfer???

And most travelers rent a car on the Big Island because you need a car here. :)

Kona
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really necessary to reserve a taxi for airport transfer???

But of course they will not be able to get a car tomorrow! Maybe by Monday or Tuesday when the Ironman hordes leave . . .

California
Level Contributor
320 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Really necessary to reserve a taxi for airport transfer???

My flight arrives at 7.20 p.m.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really necessary to reserve a taxi for airport transfer???

Are you going into Kailua-Kona, or north towards Kohala?

Parts of the Queen Ka'ahumanu Highway will be open at the time you arrive, but it will still be closed from NELHA to Kailua-Kona, so things will still be messy getting into Kailua-Kona, involving a cab ride up Kaiminani and all the way around - it'll cost twice what it normally would.

You could try booking SpeediShuttle; I think it will cost you around $30 for a shared ride into town (don't quote me on that!). Since they have a fixed rate, they shouldn't charge extra for the extra time and distance. You can book online or call 877-242-5777.

Edited: 5:46 pm, October 12, 2012
California
Level Contributor
320 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Really necessary to reserve a taxi for airport transfer???

I will be going to the Hilton Waikoloa Village. However, based on the traffic, and the fact that I don't want to worry about being stuck at the airport, I will give SpeediShuttle a call.

Thanks for your assistance.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Really necessary to reserve a taxi for airport transfer???

If there is a taxi stand on this island, I have never seen it. Maybe I haven't looked. Where do they wait at KOA?

No vehicles are allowed to stay at the curb where you come out at KOA. There is cell phone parking in a lot off to the side, where vehicles wait for passengers to call them and say to come down to the curb and get them.

I hope for your sake that you decide to rent a car.

The Hilton Waikoloa is like coming to Hawai'i and not seeing Hawai'i, only a fake idea of Hawai'i. It has its nice elements, but if you have any interest in the real place you will want to leave the property ... a lot.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Really necessary to reserve a taxi for airport transfer???

Regarding taxis at Keahole, there's a sign right outside the baggage claim area (or sometimes it's over by the rental car vans) and a dispatcher who stands there and calls a taxi for you. The taxis wait over in the "Cell Phone Parking" area for the calls from the dispatcher.

It's a bit kapakahi but it works - I often leave my car at my mechanic's near Costco when I go on short trips, and then take the $8 taxi ride from the airport to get my car.

I remember this OP now from an earlier thread. She's just going to hang out in Waikoloa for a day and half while she waits for her buddies with a car to come get her . . .

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Really necessary to reserve a taxi for airport transfer???

Oh right, thanks for the memory jog on the OP's plans.

I guess by now she has heard enough about the Hilton. ;-)

Never needed a taxi at KOA, thanks for explaining the system!

10. Re: Really necessary to reserve a taxi for airport transfer???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona