We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Breakfast in Kona

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Best Breakfast in Kona

The Aloha Angel Cafe (couple miles out of town) use to be best, but believe it has closed. On a Sunday morning where does the best pancakes for breakfast?

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Breakfast in Kona

Island Lava Java. Serious island-style mac-cakes to (almost.. ;) compete with Maui's best!! haha! Open since mid 90's on Ali`i Dr., I believe they also recently opened a Waikoloa location.

Aloha, NKO

Mentioned in this post
Island Lava Java
Island Lava Java
2,766 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Breakfast in Kona

Yeah, tried Lave Java before & to be honest wasn't crazy, but thanks for recommendation. Any idea what happened Aloha Angel Cafe?

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Breakfast in Kona

Sorry, not a clue, though they survived for around 25 years I believe -- certainly a looooong time! Hop on over to Maui & try the SeaHouse, Plantation House & Gazebo (if a near hour long wait doesn't chaff you! ;)

About the only time I eat a traditional breakfast is when I'm on island..

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,101 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Breakfast in Kona

Kona is pretty lame in the breakfast department. There's Splashers which I can't say has great food, just a lot of it. If you're up for a drive or spending a day trip elsewhere, Hawaiian Style Cafe in Waimea has really good pancakes.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Breakfast in Kona

I share your nostalgia for Aloha Angel ... ate breakfast or lunch on that lanai quite a few times on my first two visits here. A shame it is gone!

The AA Cafe closed and the Aloha Theater Cafe opened. Then it closed. Then an Italian place opened, last April? But has no reviews or website, and I don't live down there, so no idea if it's even open.

Blog write-up ...

konababes.com/2012/…

I seem to recall the U Top It closed as well.

I don't think it is very common for residents to breakfast out, at least not after the pre-work rush is over, and those are people grabbing a quick meal, so the breakfast places really depend on the visitors.

Coeur d'Alene
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Breakfast in Kona

A little south of town the Coffee Shack is pretty good ... gorgeous views as well! Might be worth a shot!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,101 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Breakfast in Kona

Well, it's a bit more than a "little" south of town, but I agree the Coffee Shack has great breakfast. Speking of nostalgia, it was the first place I wanted to go early in the morning a few hours after giving birth to my youngest daughter eleven years ago. I ate two breakfasts and took home an entire coconut pie for later, which they gave me on the house.

::-)

Edited: 4:24 am, October 07, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Breakfast in Kona

The coconut pie was great and so was the cheese cake! As of 10/3/12 The cinnamon roll at Lava Java was really good as well

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,312 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Breakfast in Kona

Shea - love that story! :)

So where is this Coffee Shack located? Mahalo! :)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Breakfast in Kona

With the admission that we're partial (extremely) to ocean front restaurants, and it's up in Waikoloa (but worth the drive; especially if a day trip to Hawi is of interest), you might want to consider Pahu i'a at the Four Seasons ( fourseasons.com/hualalai/… ). The Lanai setting is wonderful and the Buffet has something yummy for just about anyone.

Big Island TV has an informative Hawi video that may be helpful in making your decision of whether, or not, the drive is worth it:

bigislandtv.com/broadband/BigIslandvs.html

Once you're at the site, click on "Places", then "North Kohala".

Mentioned in this post
Hawi
Hawi
Island of Hawaii, HI