We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Steak Question

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
389 reviews
Save Topic
Another Steak Question

Posted previously re: steak dinner for a friend's birthday dinner. They probably won't want to spend the money, but I like the offerings on the Hualalai Grille's menu at the Four Seasons Resort.

Since we're staying a few extra days after our friends leave, I'm considering dinner there at that time. Unfortunately, the website's menu doesn't have prices, and while I don't mind paying $40-$50 for a properly cooked prime grade steak, I like to know in advance what the bill will be. Can someone tell me what the actual cost of their steaks are -- especially the porterhouse? (Mrs. OJ and I often split a porterhoue because she likes the filet and I like the strip.) Also, like most top steakhouses, are the side dishes extra? And again, how much.

One last thing -- I've looked at Splashers Grill and notice they have several steaks under $20. Are they a decent grade (USDA Choice) or the lower grade "Inspected?"

Thanks again for your comments..

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,129 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Steak Question

IME Spashers serves fairly poor quality (and not local) meat and produce, although I don't know the details. They used to be good for the price, but once they moved and started churning out more volume, things went downhill.

My recollection is your inclination is correct and most of the steaks at Hualalai Grille are around $40-50, and yes, sides are extra, are enough for two, and I think are around $10. I'll be on property this weekend so I'll look at the menu for you if no one else has responded.

Edited: 9:21 pm, September 20, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Hualalai Grille
Hualalai Grille
160 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Steak Question

That's a kind offer ...

I was thinking that if you want to know today, there is no shame in calling and asking the price of a few items. That's what I'd do if I wanted to know "right now." :)

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Steak Question

Thank you Shea (you may PM me at your convenience if you'd like). We're not going until March so we have more than enough time to find out prices. Since Mrs. OJ and I will have four days by ourselves at the end of our stay, I'm thinking about Hualalai and La Bourgone (I'm a sucker for a good veal chop!) for a couple of special dinners during those four days.

Mentioned in this post
Hualalai
Hualalai
66 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
NH
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Steak Question

I just looked at the menu. Steaks $39 - 49, sides 9 - 11+.

Edited: 10:32 pm, September 20, 2012
NH
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Steak Question

I just looked at menu. Steaks $39 - 49, sides 9 - 11+.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Steak Question

About what we pay at the Ringside (our favorite steakhouse in the world) in Portland. It also has a Kobe filet at about $70. I may try to talk our friends into going -- they enjoy the Ringside, although they usually opt for the "early bird" 3-course dinner at $35 (medallions or small prime rib for beef options).

Mentioned in this post
Kobe
Kobe
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
7. Re: Another Steak Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 12, 2013