We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner or a luau?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
seattle, wa
Level Contributor
12 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner or a luau?

My family will be in Kona for thanksgiving, and would like to make reservations for a restaurant to have a nice thanksgiving dinner. Any ideas or suggestions? I heard that the fairmont has a great luau, but it is apparently only served on saturdays? we would love to either have a nice traditional thanksgiving dinner, or a hawaiian luau - would welcome any suggestions....thank you!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner or a luau?

The hotel restaurants and maybe Roy's (Waikoloa) are the only places that do the traditional TG. Island residents tend to cook and have big family gatherings, and family owned restaurants often close on holidays.

Have you had lu'au food? It is typically not all that good, although the Fairmont has a special menu. I wouldn't want a lu'au for Thanksgiving myself -- unless you want the show (which to me is not in the spirit of Thanksgiving, but you may feel differently).

The issue with the resorts is whether they will serve non-guests. The policies vary from year to year, so you just have to call. I had the buffet at the Mauna Lani one year, and then another year they were closed to the public except for same day.

In any case, you need to nail down a reservation at least a month in advance or you could be out of luck. Just for TG dinner, not on non-holidays. The best food is probably going to be at Four Seasons, Mauna Lani, Fairmont, Mauna Kea. Hilton will serve everyone but won't be particularly special. Marriott is not known for its food, nor is Hapuna Prince. There is also the Courtyard in town and the Sheraton, and Royal Kona Resort (wouldn't be my choice), and you can check around.

You basically need to call the places and see if there's a special menu, what it is, and how its priced.

seattle, wa
Level Contributor
12 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner or a luau?

thanks so much for the prompt reply - this is very helpful! I will take your advice and start making some phone calls.....I dont want to have to cook while on vacation, so i am hoping to get something locked in soon. :) thank you!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner or a luau?

You're welcome!

I should have said that most likely the places do not have their Thanksgiving menu settled yet. However, they should be able to give you a rough time frame for when they will announce the holiday meal.

Typically there will either be a buffet (served where the resort serves its daily breakfast or Sunday brunch, nice outdoor seating on lanai type deal), or they will offer a prix fixe meal with 2-3 options. Those are usually pricey.

I personally think that a buffet works fine for the type of food Americans eat for Thanksgiving, as we've evolved the type of meal that works for a big family. You will find that an island buffet will also offer fish, sushi, shrimp, crab legs in addition to turkey, prime rib, etc.. So it can be both traditional and have an island flair.

Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner or a luau?

Hello. I'm doing the same research for a large family group. I was wondering if you have recommendations since you are way ahead of me in looking into this. We are in the Kona area as well. Did you find any way to check out and compare the local hotels/restaurants and what they are offering for Thanksgviing? Thanks.

Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner or a luau?

Hello, We are in the same situation travelling with a large family group over Thanksgiving. Like you, I'm not interested in cooking. Since you are way ahead of me in looking into this, I was wondering if you have any good suggestions or information to share in terms of hotels/restaurants in the Kona area that are serving Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks!

Edited: 10:41 am, October 23, 2012
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner or a luau?

we are also going to Kona for holidays so thank you very much for great info on thanksgiving dinner.

it helps a lot

Palo Alto...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner or a luau?

Was wondering what you ended up doing. I'll be in the same boat this Thanksgiving!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner or a luau?

Here's a 2013 thread on the subject:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60872-i269-k68089…

MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
231 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner or a luau?

I emailed Kona Fish Hopper and Huggo's on the Rocks last night. Both are open on Thanksgiving Day and require reservations.

10. Re: Nice restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner or a luau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, November 20, 2013