We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset dining

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wynne, Arkansas
5 posts
Save Topic
Sunset dining

Thought we might catch a sunset and dine after flying in Tuesday evening before driving to Waikoloa. Or, in Waikoloa if we can drive there in time. Don't worry about $ as we will check that out ourselves. Plane arrives around 5:00 then bags, car,etc. So I'm thinking leave airport aout 6:00. Sunset about 6:45? Your favorite spots?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset dining

Definitely the Beach Tree at the Four Seasons Hualalai. Great food, drinks, ocean/beachfront, fantastic sunsets, and less than ten minutes north of the airport.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset dining

Agree ...

Sunset is at 6:37 and the chances of you making it to a Waikoloa view restaurant and getting settled are slim, especially as you need to be there and watching a good 10-15 min before the actual sunset moment or it won't feel complete.

Suggest you make reservations and request a sunset view table in advance so that it's all settled. IIRC, it's going to be maybe 10 minutes from highway turn it to restaurant arrival, between driving in and walking through grounds to the Beach Tree.

The only restaurant at Waikoloa Beach with a sunset view (outside of the Hilton's not so great Kamuela Provisions) would be the Lava Lava Beach Club, and they don't take reservations and would be really busy. And parking fills up which makes for a longer walk. You might get to the beach by sunset, but actually being at a table with drink in hand is not likely.

so to be clear, I think the Four Seasons is the only option and it's a wonderful one. There is nothing at all between the 4S and Waikoloa Beach Resort.

Edited: 7:32 pm, August 29, 2012
Wynne, Arkansas
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset dining

It's a plan then. Will call for reservations and thank you.

4. Re: Sunset dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, September 13, 2012
Edited: 8:35 pm, September 13, 2012
Canada
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset dining

If your arrival is from the Mainland that night.......I suspect you will be rather tired after a long journey......5 hr time difference etc. It will be close to Midnight Arkansas time by the time you are seated at the 4S.

I do think the bar area is the better bet......for these reasons.You may or may not be as hungry as you might expect....

Waikoloa Beach Resort is another short drive north following your 4S pit stop.Darkness will have fallen but the Hwy is a straight shot up an additional 10 miles.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset dining

The beach bar/lounge area offers full menu service and is first come, first serve. We almost never eat at the tables in the restaurant (although it is not enclosed and so offers the same good views), and always try to sit at the bar which has great bartenders and views. I would have a dining rez as a back up option though.

Wynne, Arkansas
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset dining

Thank you for the great advice. Have reservations but the bar/lounge area will work too. We will see how it goes. We will be sure to enjoy the sunset and then go from there.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset dining

All great points. People really are thoughtless about standing so that they block other people's sunset views.

I took my husband for his birthday to Browns one year and went to all the trouble to get the perfect table and time it just right. Then some parents let their older (tall) kids stand in front of the sunset view window, out near the bluff so that they blocked view not just of our table but most of the tables, for about ten minutes. It was so annoying. They completely wiped out any view of the sun. People are paying hundreds of dollars for that moment.

Having a fixed table position does make you vulnerable to that sort of thoughtless "ME ME ME" behavior.

9. Re: Sunset dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 04, 2013