We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kona or Oahu?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
160 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kona or Oahu?

I'm stumped. there are great flight deals to Kona or Oahu (Oahu is slightly cheaper and 2 hours faster to get to) but I dont know which to go to. We have been to Maui twice and LOVE it but feel we would like to try somewhere new.

We are going in November for bout 2 weeks+. We are a family of 4. Two kids aged 8 &10, who love the beach, body boarding, swimming. I enjoy some shopping. And we would like to rent a car and stay in 1 place for a week and then move to another area on the island for the lat week. I was hoping to see some volcanos.

We will be staying in a VRBO rental. Any advice as to which island, or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kona or Oahu?

You can't compare the two islands, they are like apples and oranges, but if you have two plus weeks why don't you go to both? Start with spending four days on Oahu and the rest on the Big Island.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
160 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kona or Oahu?

Oooh. See this is why I post here. How are they so different? I dont think visiting both islands is financially an option for us.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kona or Oahu?

If you can get a ticket going back to Vancouver directly from the Big Island than the extra cost would be only the four tickets from Oahu to Kona. You can save that amount on rentals if you are savvy. All the Hawaiian islands are different and if you do a little reading than you will understand why. Regardless, I sure wouldn't spend two plus weeks on Oahu.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
160 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kona or Oahu?

Hmmm... thanks. I'll keep reading on. I know that Oahu is more of a city place while Hawaii is much less so and has volcanoes national park. However, I also read Big Island isnt really best know for its swimming beaches. So I am a bit torn. Dont want to be in a busy city but 4 or 5 days is fine. But would also like to see volcanoes and have a little breathing room.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,519 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kona or Oahu?

Aloha,

Maybe check out Kailua Town on the Windward side of Oahu.

Very cool and two of the best beaches in the Islands.

portaloha.com/SecretsOfHawaii/KailuaBeach.htm

A short drive to Honolulu/Waikiki for all the culture and activities

The North Shore is world class also.

Have some fun with this site, it works for all the Islands

http://www.101thingstodo.com/oahu101/

Have a great time,

Aloha

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kona or Oahu?

The Big Island has fantastic swimming beaches, some of the best in the state, but on the Kohala Coast, not in Kailua Kona. However, November is a transition month. You might get flat, glassy water up north or there could be early winter swells that make the beaches unswimmable (but good for experienced surfers).

They are completely different islands, as noted above. the Big Island has the best snorkeling, diving, and swimming in the state, and is much more vast, with lots of lava landscape dominated by our mountains. Oahu is much busier, really island wide, not just in Waikiki, but there are many more beaches, and much bigger ones.

If you visit the BI, it's best to fly into Hilo and out of Kona or vice versa, and spend a 3-4 nights in Hilo or Volcano and the rest of your two weeks on the west side.

Edited: 3:16 am, July 16, 2012
USA
Level Contributor
399 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kona or Oahu?

The Big Island has some nice beaches, but very few in comparison to Oahu. The BI has an active volcano (the big draw, in my opinion). It is a huge island. Lots of it looks like a moonscape to me - covered in miles and miles of spectacular lava. No active volcano on Oahu but Diamondhead is amazing.

Oahu has the big city of Honolulu, with its star attractions, Waikiki and Damondhead. I like the waters of Waikiki, but not the crowds. Oahu also has the famous north shore. It's a lot less crowded than Honolulu.

You mentioned shopping. Oahu beats the Big Island when it comes to shopping. But there is some nice shopping on both islands.

If you find you can afford to do both islands, that would be best.

8. Re: Kona or Oahu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:37 pm, July 17, 2012
ecoast
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kona or Oahu?

Split the stay for time on Oahu and Hawaii.

Book an open-jaw ticket.

Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kona or Oahu?

I would book 1 week Oahu and 1 week on the big island. You can book flights that allow you to fly into one island, and out of another one. Interisland flights are relatively inexpensive.

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona