We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How warm is the water?

USA
Level Contributor
390 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How warm is the water?

We would like to go snorkeling. Never have before. Is the water really warm enough at this time of year? We will be there the first week of May. Thanks.

1. Re: How warm is the water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:44 pm, June 12, 2006
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How warm is the water?

At Capt cook yesterday it was 76-77 and will continur to warm each month to a peak of 86 in Sept/october.

Water in Kona and north is a few degrees cooler

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How warm is the water?

We just got back from Kailua-Kona today, Apr. 8, and snorkeled a number of times. As was indicated, it's really a personal preference/tolerance for what you consider cool. You'll be going later than our trip, so the water should be warmer, but there was a mix of what people wore during our trip. We personally like to wear thin suits snorkeling (what I mean by that, scuba diver thin suits that have covered legs and long sleeves that are 2 - 3 mil.) partially for the warmth and also for protection from accidentally brushing against the coral when we dive down in and amongst the coral looking into the nooks and crannies at the fish. I don't think there's fire coral there (at least I didn't see any), so you won't have to watch out for brushing against that, which stings and can leave welts. If you stay strictly on top of the water and don't dive down or just avoid contacting coral, it won't be a problem.

As a side note to HD and TT, we discovered the little sandy beach at the end of the road going into Honokahau Harbor. Unfortunately, it was the day we were leaving and could not snorkle it. Other snorklers were there and said they were out there with 20 spinner dolphins. A scuba diver there said he dives there regularly and the spinner dolphins are there regularly, and there is a tiger shark that hangs out by the green buoy, but it doesn't bother divers (and I imagine/hope snorklers) because there's plenty of fish around for it to eat. Do you guys know anything about that and/or the snorkling out there? It seemed like a nice beach to go - hardly anyone there (compared to anywhere else we went to) and we definitely want to go there next time we're there.

We especially enjoyed snorkeling at Honaunau. The coral formation is FABULOUS and we snorkeled with a turtle there. Lots of turtles especially at Kahalu'lu Beach, but the coral formation isn't as nice, but lots of fish to see and we saw turtles both times we went there.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How warm is the water?

I know the beach but not its name... any yes there are big tigers that live in the area because of turtles and the fact that fishing boats dump fish trimmings and blood there on their way in.... and yes the " Big" fish comes into the boat harbor too... and he aint alone.

Tigers ,as a species ,I learned are one of the more agressive... more so than Whites. I know that they are known to bump Kayakers and small boats around here

I and a number of local divers avoid this area and cant beleive folks use this area and are encouraged to do so by some firms.

Look,I have swam with White tip, Black Tip and Blues.... but no way a Tiger.... and not where they dump chum. too....... thats a little too like russina roulett with an automatic. Id give the harbor area a wide berth. And no I am not keeping it to myself.

Watch PBS on the 12th and see the program on pacific sharks...

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How warm is the water?

There is a "resident shark" at the harbour area (sometimes even in the harbor!) and it is suspected that he (she?) "moved" there because of the free food! :) A fiesty one too, won't let any roommates move in either!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How warm is the water?

Thanks, HD and TT, for the feedback on snorkeling at the little beach at the end of Honokohau Harbor. I must admit it made me concerned to hear there was a resident tiger shark in the area, although the diver I talked to wasn't concerned about it and dove there often. I heard tiger sharks were agressive before, so I was surprised it didn't bother him. However, my being Chinese, I won't give it the chance to see if it likes "Chinese food" :) I guess I won't test that theory out. Darn! I had hoped to try that spot either snorkeling and/or on scuba. It looked like a nice, quiet spot. Maybe that's why there's not too many people at that area.

Thanks again for the quick input. We are back home in rainy weather, so we wish we were still there in 80+ degree sunny weather. . .

Portland, OR, USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How warm is the water?

Honokohau is a great beach that hardly anyone knows about. Keep walking down the beach for about a mile and then trek inland, and you will come across some very secluded fresh water baths surrounded by cairns that guards used to stand on to guard while the Queen bathed...

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How warm is the water?

Sunny,

The water is generally warm and there isn't too much variation.

Here is the Go Hawaii website about h2o temp. I cannot find the NOAA page - there is one for water temps.

http://www.gohawaii.com/weather/default.aspx

Good luck and happy travels!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How warm is the water?

Logophile,

The walk down the beach from Honokohau sounds interesting. I've never heard of the fresh water ponds down there, and it sounds worth exploring. Is that walking down the beach towards downtown Kona (hope that's not a stupid question), I assume? Thanks for the heads-up, and we'll check that out next time.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How warm is the water?

Hi sunny,

This is a monthly average temperature/rainfall/ocean temp website that I find useful (just click on Big Island Kailua-Kona etc.): hawaiianvacation.com/

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona