We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feeding Manta rays!

1 post
Save Topic
Feeding Manta rays!

Aloha everyone,

My Fiancé and I will be staying a week in Kona as part of our honeymoon in July. So My fiancé wants to feed sting-rays/ manta-rays while we are there. Does anyone know if there are places on the island that offer anything like this.

Thanks so much for your help!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feeding Manta rays!

This one is tough. Manta ray feed on tiny organisms such as plankton – they can take very, very tiny fish too. Other types of rays (like Eagles) eat crustaceans. This will make feeding them difficult. I dove off the Kona Surf when I was younger and there is an AMAZING array of marine life there, including Mantas. Do you and your fiancé dive? There are tour organizations for SCUBA divers that specialize in Manta Ray dives. There are night dives (which increase your risk – even for PADI certified divers) but because the plankton will be attracted to the light the mantas will come very close to feed. There are snorkel operations also that specialize in Manta’s. Here are some samples:

I have no personal knowledge of any of these.

If this is her dream and you want to make it come true, you can find a diving school or instructor through PADI and let the instructor know what you want to do.

Also consider some other marine life if diving is not an option – there is a swim with dolphins program at the Hilton. This was a highlight for my best friends wife, she fulfilled her life long dream there (and it did not hurt it was the day he proposed).

There is a sub and glass bottom boats in Kailua-Kona, and many options for snorkeling. There are whale watching tours also.

But there are also volcanoes, Mauna Kea, waterfalls, aerial tours, hiking, beaches, valleys, flowers, grinds (food), and many other adventures to discover which ones she (and you) love.

Congrats! Good luck and happy travels!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,456 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feeding Manta rays!

I know of no diving operation that feeds rays..we really dont have places like sting-ray city of Grand Caymen.

The Mantas are filter feeders and during the dives to see them youu are instructed to sit tight and not interact with them.......they are BIG.....like 12 to 17 feet across......

3. Re: Feeding Manta rays!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 am, April 10, 2006
Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Feeding Manta rays!

As Hawaiidan says, manta rays are filter feeders--they swim through large groups of plankton and filter the water through their mouths/gills (?--not sure how technically correct I am with this description) but I don't know how you would hold a piece of plankton and feed it to a manta. However, going out with a diving/snorkeling tour and being able to observe these wonderful creatures would definitely be a fun thing to do on a honeymoon--quite a memorable experience! We did our manta trip with Jack's Diving Locker out of Kona, had a couple of honeymooning couples on our boat and they all said what a great time it was!

Congratulations on your upcoming honeymoon and trip to Kona--it will be a wonderful place to celebrate such a happy event. (We purchased the DVD that one of the guides--Kellar Laros--shot during the afternoon/evening, and it is a wonderful keepsake).

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona