We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discounts - any info experts?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
147 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Discounts - any info experts?

Hey experts, HawaiiDan and TypicallyTropical know about any good discounters? I left a post on the Island of Hawaii forum but got no answers yesterday. Here is what I posted: Where can I get a discount on activities like snorkeling, night manta ray swims, luaus, etc. We will be staying at the Sheraton. I don't want to listen to a timeshare pitch. Tell me if you have had a good experience with a broker.

I looked at cost for some of the hikes and 155 pp to hike in the upper Pololu valley is cost prohibitive for a family of 4.

You know if the night manta ray swims are good?

san francisco
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Discounts - any info experts?

TT - That is so messed up, lol. I used to sell timeshare for a time. I know there are a lot of heavy pressure shady timeshare sales out there, but there are still honest people who work there too. I had good experiences with Timeshare and that is why I ended up going to work for one. Although, ironically, one of the main reasons I quit is because of the recision period TT just pointed out. In California it is 7 days.

But I do agree that nothing is free. And that is another reason I do not work for them anymore. Keep in mind that they are in the business to make money, not give away free stuff. If you accept any "free items" usually its the stuff that doesnt seem as good that is actually the best prize "the cash, and gift certificates" , not the free vacations or hotel stays.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Discounts - any info experts?

I have been offered a lot of jobs selling timeshares. I cant accept due to ethics of selling a loosing hand. There is no way a person who buys a timeshare can today come out on top. The properties are priced 700 to 1000% over market, and the maint fees start at 300 a week and escelate to over 800 in 4 to 5 years.... Why... to get youu to sell and start the cycle all over with new suckers.

Look at it a different way, you spent 2000 for air, 350 for car, 750 for food and activities. thats 3100 for a week Now, 7 days of 10 hour days is 70 hours. Divide this into $3100. The result is $44.3 per hour.

If you blow 3 hours at a time share it cost you $133 to get a 100 dollar discount..... you just lost $33 of your vacation.....it is no deal. Think.

The tiimeshares are such huge money that they throw every discount at you like bait to a fish..... you leave thinking I made out.... wrong you lost..there is no way you can do a session and not in the long term loose......they know it and that that is why they offer the sucker discounts........if you even play...=you lose.. even if accept the discount and dont buy... you lose.

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Discounts - any info experts?

Aloha, funny all this ranting on time shares gentlemen. The lady was asking about disounts on activities. Sounds like HD was in sales and got burned. Time shares for some are great but stick to the question.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Discounts - any info experts?

the fact remains... that the vast majority of activity discounts are from time-share sales.

It is important to understand as you walk down Alii drive.

Last night I did this and was amazed at all the booths... dozens all with all sorts of prices for the same activity.

And no .,I have never been burned by time shares... but know plenty of people who have.And have met a few time share salesmen who have bragged about their skill at getting folks to buy.....

The concept that you try to take advantage of someone while they are trying to take advantage of you is not healthy to a hawaiian vacation.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
147 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Discounts - any info experts?

Trip Update: did not take any timeshare tours. Did not really need to use any discounters because we did not do any organized tours. Wish the Kamaaina discounts applied to ExLocals (I'll bring my passport to show my place of birth).

The Manta Ray dive is an experience but you have to ask how many Manta Rays they saw the night before. The Sheraton Keaohu Bay location was not spotting many. The dive instructor at the pool said that on a previous night 1 ray did a fly by while at the northern sites there were 18 feeders. Used all the free guides and what ever coupons applied but that takes a lot of work for mostly small discounts.

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona