We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zip line on Big ISLand

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kent, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Zip line on Big ISLand

Ther are several zip lines...what do you recommend?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zip line on Big ISLand

I've done two ziplines on the Big Island. Big Island Eco Adventures in Hawi and Akaka Falls Eco Adventure. The BIEA in Hawi is much better than the Akaka Falls one. You were under a rainforest canopy the entire trip and the walk in the forest was beautiful. There were more zips and the the guides were more engaging.

The Akaka Falls zip is on farmland, so most of the time you zip over open fields. The last zip was amazingly long and beautiful, but it did not make up for the other tame zips. Go to Hawi.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zip line on Big ISLand

Take a look at the other Hawi area zipline as well, the Kohala Canopy by Hawai'i Forest & Trail.

I like that they have a whole section of their website about the safety features.

kohalazipline.com/en/…kohala-canopy-adventure

Whichever you choose. read up on their attention to safety. As you may know, there was a fatality on a now closed zipline, on a line that had failed during construction. The supports were not installed deeply enough.

Nobody is overseeing the ziplines for safety other than the operator. It is an unregulated industry. Pick a safety-conscious operator if you care about that aspect. The person who died fell 200 feet onto a rocky stream bed, so it seems worth doing your homework.

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Zip line on Big ISLand

Kohala was great. They had, I think, 9 ziplines plus 2 rapells, which is more is closer to the resorts. I didn't do the other, but I thought Kohala was great and I think thier guides were amazing.'

Rick L

4. Re: Zip line on Big ISLand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:38 am, June 17, 2012
Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zip line on Big ISLand

If you want to see my writeup of Eco Adventures (with video) go here:

davidskvr.net/Life_in_the_Soft_Lane/Zipline.…

While your there, click on Index in the upper left corner and take a look at the rest of my website (if you care to).

David

Edited: 12:45 am, June 17, 2012
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
148 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zip line on Big ISLand

in regards to zip lining , I assume that the closed zip line, won't be advertising on the site anymore? because I have booked a trip on one.

we have zip lined once before over in Catalina Island, CA, my husband and I, but our daughter haven't - hoping she will love it too. she is adventurous. and yes I did check into the safety issue.

Edited: 3:47 am, August 10, 2012
7. Re: Zip line on Big ISLand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona