We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

better to take a tour to volcano or drive on your own

I T
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
70 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
better to take a tour to volcano or drive on your own

Hi,

We are four adults and two kids ages 6 and 9 staying at the wyndham in kona 6/11-6/16. We would like to go the volcanoes but return that day back to the hotel. Should we just drive there ourselves or take a tour. I'm leaning towards driving on our own. We are renting a minivan. also does anyone have a route with stops to see thnigs and eat. thanks

Big Island Duck Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Bus Tours, Duck Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Epic! Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours
Torpedo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,243 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: better to take a tour to volcano or drive on your own

If your kids get car sick, take some precautions, the first part of the route from Kona to Volcano is very twisty, my dogs and kids always got sick on it. Candied ginger and ginger ale helps.

I T
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
70 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: better to take a tour to volcano or drive on your own

Is it like the road to Hana? No one got sick in the car but came close when we did the road to Hana on the way back

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,243 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: better to take a tour to volcano or drive on your own

It's not as long as the RTH, there's just a 20 minute or so section that is pretty twisty, slow and tortuous.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: better to take a tour to volcano or drive on your own

We have just booked a week into the Kona Coast in Oct. this will be our 5th time to Big Isle. This thread reminds of what a long day it is to get to volcano. I had hoped this trip to see any flow that might be visible. but I realize we need to spend a night a lot closer than Kona. since best viewing may be late or early in day. and I do not want to drive back to Kona in the dark. So will work to see it we can add a day on south coast.

However will say it is very much worth a daytrip from Kona to see volcano. Last time we drove down ring of craters road and could see steam from the lava going into ocean, walked to within 100 feet of it. and saw recent flows that had covered more of road.

Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: better to take a tour to volcano or drive on your own

My friend and I will be on the Big Island in October. We are staying at the Hilton and were planning to do a circle island tour. Should we head south from the Hilton through Kona or should we go across and south through Hilo? What is the best route? We have already planned on hitting the road by 7am.

Any advice would be appreciated!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,032 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: better to take a tour to volcano or drive on your own

Smd ... Please start your own post, a new post.

Thanks.

17. Re: better to take a tour to volcano or drive on your own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 16, 2013