We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Island with Kids

Milwaukee
1 post
Save Topic
Big Island with Kids

We are traveling to the big island over Easter with our 2 kids (11 and 8). What's the one thing we MUST do during our 10 day stay on the island?

1. Re: Big Island with Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, May 03, 2006
Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Island with Kids

Aloha, Kids and Kona go together. Children 8 and 11 are great ages to travel with, they can do so much. If I can only pick one thing I would say the Fairwinds morning snorkel, when my kids were that age it was their favorite thing to do and Mom and Dad loved it too. So much to see, share and experience. Seeing the island from the sea, seeing under the sea in a safe, abundant and beautiful bay. Not to mention the history and culture... hope I have talked you into it...Have fun!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Island with Kids

I don't know much about the preferences of kids of those ages but I would say visit the Hilton Hotel. We call it Disneyland and all kids love it there. Train, boat, dolphins, etc.

Colorado
Level Contributor
196 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Island with Kids

Great ages to travel with, mine are 10 and 13. Snorkeling at Capt Cook monument is a cool adventure. You can stand on the shore and see the schools of yellow tangs.

Volcanos NP has lots of small hikes since at that age they aren't real inclined for a big hike.

The Place of Refuge I hear has great snorkeling but we didn't have time to do that. We did got out there very early one morning (7am) and you can watch the turtles eating very close to the shore. That was really cool.

The tidal pools near Puna have some cool snorkeling. Lava Tree State Park in the same area made for a great afternoon. Great place to picnic with lots of gorgeous flowers and trees. The park is so unique. The drive to this place feels like a fairy tale because the monkey trees form a blanket over the top of the road, so it's much like a tree tunnel.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Island with Kids

In terms of educational and asthetic valye I would choose in order: (Staying at the Hilton or sheraton.the 2 best pools on the island)..........

The Volcano park... 2 days.its huge to explore and has way more than the Lava.....way more

A snorkel tour to Capt cook and Place of refuge only Sea Quest and Dolphin Discov. do thiis( fairwinds goes just to capt cook and does no coast tour.)

Go visit Place of refuge National park

Attend a star party at the visitors center at 9200ft on Mauna Kea

Tour the east Hamakua coast and its parks and waterfalls

Flume Da ditch in North Kohala.

Go to Kula Kai Caverns on a cave exploring tour. south of Kona... You can also go visit the longest lava tube cave in the world in the Hilo area ( its 40 miles of mapped passage) called Kiluea caverns. also has spelunking tours......

These for the age would be I think most family fiendly and fun to do

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Island with Kids

Flume Da ditch in North Kohala! Great advise Dan! I don't think I have ever seen it recommended here but it's really a great fun. The same for the Kilauea Cavern but please remember it's entrance is on a private property and it's not smooth like the Thurston Lava Tube.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
332 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Island with Kids

Hello fellow Milwaukee resident.

I was just there last month with kids ages 9,7,3,2. We spent most of our trip in Maui and 2 days on the BI. You absolutely must spend a couple days at the Volcano. The kids loved hiking in and around the lava rocks, seeing the lava flow entry into the ocean at night and the Thurston Lava tube. If you do the Tube in my opinion it's a must to take a flashlight and hike into the non-developed portion of the tube. It's a completely different experience and it was fun for the kids to turn off the flashlight and experience complete darkness.

Also, we had fun at Punaluu black sand beach. We saw tons of turtles there.

Have a great trip.

Suburb of San...
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Island with Kids

Hi,

in-n-out,

What time of day were you at Punalulu? I am curious if there is a certain time of day the turtles are on the sand. I hope to stop there in a few weeks in the late afternoon on the way to Volcano and am hoping to see them.

thanks

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Island with Kids

There are tons of turtles. HERE..in Kona, Kohala and place of refuge.....it is not just PUNALULU......

North bay ON
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Island with Kids

Hi Packrbackr

From March 4-18 we visited the Big Island for the first time with our daughters ages 6 & 9. We had so much fun! We toured the island, visited the Volcano, the Hilton waterslide, Place of Refuge, the Humpback whales at Hapuna beach,attended a luau, bought pearls out of an oyster, and much more. But I think the activity that made a lasting impression on them is snorkeling at Kahaluu beach and at 2-step. We invested in some good childrens snorkeling equipment and they both perfected the sport in Hawaii. My 6 year old is still telling every one that will listen, that she saw all the fish from Finding Nemo, including Crush!