We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon - Need Big Island hotel suggestions for Early...

Boston, MA
1 post
Save Topic
Honeymoon - Need Big Island hotel suggestions for Early...

I am very delayed in booking my hotels for our honeymoon first week of November.

I am looking for suggestions suitable for honeymooners. We are staying at the Sheraton Black Rock on Maui. I am nervous to stay at the new Sheraton on the Big Island as it will still be under construction. Can anyone provide suggestions other than Kona Village Resort?

I would love suggestions on romantic things to do on the Big Island and Maui. Thanks!

Reno, Nevada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon - Need Big Island hotel suggestions for Early...

We honeymooned in Maui and the Big Island 11 1/2 years ago. We had a very romantic dinner at the Swan Court restaurant -- beautiful. It's located in one of the large hotels on Kaanapali Beach. I'm sure someone at your hotel could let you know. Have fun and congratulations!

Northern,Ca
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon - Need Big Island hotel suggestions for Early...

Your really not as last minute as we are. We are getting married on the 16th of October.

I have just now had to rebook our honeymoon. Hurricane Ivan destroyed Grand Cayman, and now we have found ourselves scrambling for a honeymoon to the Big Island. We too have taken advantage of the Sheraton Keauhu resort in Kona. I am watching like a hawk for a bad review, but I have a feeling the construction that is going on will not affect our stay. (I hope!) Can't beat the pricing right now on their rooms! We also really like the idea of staying in a place that is brand new! Neither of us have been to the Big Island before but we have done some research and are looking forward to the diversity of the island and plan on doing some major excursions. If you and your mate love adventure, it will not matter where you are on your honeymoon, as long as you enjoy the company! Good luck on your honeymoon, and watch for my review of the hotel after the 24th of Oct.

Take Care

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
589 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon - Need Big Island hotel suggestions for Early...

I just returned from Kona on the 3rd of October. The Sheraton had opened, but it was no where close to bing finished! I wanted to take a look around, but the gentleman at the entrance said only registered guests were allowed in. I asked about going in for some lunch, and he chuckled and told me "There's no where to eat yet". PLEASE do keep an eye on it, I'd hate for your honeymoon to be ruined by the hotel not operating at 100%. Aside from the lack of landscaping, and the heavy equiptment in the parking lot, it did look as if it is going to be a beautiful place to stay.

I spent a few nights at the Hilton Waikoloa (I was also in a private home), and loved it. There were plenty of honeymooners that were happy with their choice to stay there. I also met a couple that was staying at the Outrigger/Marriott in Waikoloa. Although nothing like the Hilton, they said it was a good value.

Good luck!

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon - Need Big Island hotel suggestions for Early...

quick rundown of some of the finer hotels on the big island:

four seasons - simply an awesome experience. if you can afford it, this is the place to be. service beyond compare (prices to match it). i love their beachside bar (great for people watching).

hilton wiakoloa - great place for a group or if you are travelling with kids. otherwise, if honeymooning, it might come off a little too disneylandish with all of its manmade attractions meant to catch your eye (waterslides, dolphin area etc...). tons of people (tons of kids), very spread out. conclusion - can be fun, but it is far from romantic and it does not offer any oceanfront rooms (there is no beach at the hilton waikoloa other than a manmade one).

hapuna beach prince hotel - extremely quiet and peaceful. very dramatic lobby/port cochere/entrance. when you go there, you'll see what i mean (simply beautiful). this, along with the orchid at mauna lani, would be the most romantic hotels on the island (if you can't afford the four seasons). plus, the golf course here is simply wonderful.

mauna kea beach hotel - great service (nowhere near the four seasons but also nowhere near it in price). the hotel has a wonderful beach, as does the hapuna, but the hotel itself is aging a little bit. the clientele is also a little bit older than at hapuna or orchid at mauna lani.

orchid at mauna lani - along with hapuna the other reasonably priced (relative to four seasons) luxury hotel.

couple of fine dining restaurants to visit=

daniel thiebaut's in waimea

merriman's in waimea

restaurant at the four seasons

cheap restaurant of note=

cafe pesto (north of orchid/hapuna/mauna kea). great pizzas. they also have a location on the other side of the island in hilo.

hope this helps.

have fun.

Northern,Ca
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon - Need Big Island hotel suggestions for Early...

Milhouse,

Thank you so much for your information. You have just saved our honeymoon!

Looking into what you said about the sheraton keauhou, I canceled our reservations there, and looked into the Hapuna. Needless to say, I booked with Hapuna and am so happy I did. Here I thought that we would just be happy just to be together on our honeymoon, and after checking into the "construction zone" at the sheraton I came to my senses and looked at it from a whole new perspective. We are excited to check this island out. A vacation definately needed after the planning of a wedding.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon - Need Big Island hotel suggestions for Early...

I stayed at the Mauna Lani Bay and it is a beautiful hotel with outstanding service. We were met at the entrance with fresh leis and check in was a relaxing affair at a table with fresh juice. The staff is phenomenal, the beach and views are wonderful. The snorkeling off the beach was quite good; my husband and I saw numerous Honu turtles and many varieties of fish. The lobby is an atrium/stream- filled wonder, with fish and turtles circulating. I don't golf, but I was told the course there is great. I have no negatives other than it is about 30 minutes from the touristy area of Kona and meals there are on the high side; however, if you want sublime service in an idyllic setting, this is the place.

Los Angeles, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon - Need Big Island hotel suggestions for Early...

There is no place in the world like the Four Seasons on The Big Island! I just got back from spending 5 glorious nights there. It is your honeymoon so splurge and get the ocean front room. The 2 of you will remember it forever! -M

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona