We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have permit for Kealakekua thank you!

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ca.
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Have permit for Kealakekua thank you!

Just would like to say thank you to the people in the forum.For giving me the Info on getting the permit for free! Just got it in the mail today! You guys are the best! (we have our own kayak)

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have permit for Kealakekua thank you!

You can donate to our favorite charities when you are on island! Mine is ADVOCATS! :):):)

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Have permit for Kealakekua thank you!

Aloha.,

Can you tell me how you went about getting a permit for a vacation rental / bed and breakfast. I have just started the process and would appreciate any helpful information.

Mahalo

Carole

carolekona@gmail.com

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Have permit for Kealakekua thank you!

The OP's permit was for kayaking.

And I believe the bay is closed for kayaking at this time.

Don't know if you need a permit for a vacation rental or B&B.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have permit for Kealakekua thank you!

Yes, you need a license for a B&B that includes having a kitchen approved by the Health Department. If not in commercial zoning, you need a special use permit and that's a whole lot of hoops including neighbor notification and they can testify against. Also accessibility and parking requirements.

Call the Planning Department.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have permit for Kealakekua thank you!

PS There are no County licenses in this County for vaca rentals, but you can't have a second kitchen in most zoning. Of course you need State tax licenses. You get those at the GE license dept in Kealakekua, IIRC.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have permit for Kealakekua thank you!

I'm confused, OP . . . since no permits have been issued since Jan. 2 of this year, did you apply for yours before the moratorium? If so, it won't be valid until after the moratorium is lifted, and no one knows when that might happen.

Just to clarify, the permits are for LANDING at Ka'awaloa. Prior to the moratorium, no permit was needed just to paddle in Kealakekua Bay. However, the DLNR/State Parks is still working on the new rules, and they may institute a new permit system for people with their own kayaks, so that the overall numbers of kayaks on the bay can be controlled.

The three permitted kayak tour operators might be able to resume operations before the end of the month.

So, sorry to tell you that depending on timing, your permit may not be valid.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have permit for Kealakekua thank you!

I answered because I have some experience with the process, but the thing to do is ask the government entities not a travel forum.

The regs for B&B are online but I don't have the link handy. It's all online actually.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have permit for Kealakekua thank you!

Wahine, you've been "had" by a bump. If you see the OPs date it was over a year ago.

Last comment, please don't bump ancient topics for new questions.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,196 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Have permit for Kealakekua thank you!

I think I read your question wrong.

carolCa_ mentioned a permit to go kayaking and I assumed that is kind of what you wanted.

Didn't even think it was for starting a business.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have permit for Kealakekua thank you!

I think she means a business. That would be the process referred to.

Carole, you should delete your post with your email addy. Great way to have not seized by spammers. We never post contact info in the forums.