We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time from airport to kona?

Level Contributor
307 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
time from airport to kona?

am thinking of renting a condo & being a 1st timer how far is the airport?&price?do we need a vehicle or is everthing close by.I'm still wondering if Kona or waikiki would be best for xmas&new yr's.??any help,greatly appreciated!thanx!;)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,606 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time from airport to kona?

Airport is a 10-15 min drive to town. Many condos are about 45 min north or a bit south of town, so figure 15-30 min drive depending on where and the time of day.

In general, it will be hard to do the Big Island without a car, as it lives up to its name. If you just stayed in Kona town you'd be okay, but not enough there to do for a week.

If you like really laid back, Kona would be good. If you want more activity, try Oahu (Waikiki). Definitely lots of public transit there so you won't need a car.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time from airport to kona?

this is a several part answer and it depends on time of day, year, etc.

The airport is 11 milws from central Kona and

north bound it will take 15 to 20 min to drive in normal traffic between 7 am and 4 pm a taxi one way will run 25 to 40 one way.

Going south will take 15 to 20 min from 7am to 2:30 PM. From 2;30 to 6 Pm it will take 1.5 to 2 hours...... hotels change shift to the north.

This is for both Hiway 19 and 190

Going north of the airport it is smooth most of the time... just south to Kona is bad

At Christmas time the rental cars will be totaly booked and if you want one you will need to reserve several months in advance.

If you decide to try to rent when you get here expect compacts going for $125 to $150 a day..... And yes here you will need a car as it is a very big and not compact place... you will pay bigtime if you dont have mobility

Level Contributor
307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time from airport to kona?

thanx so much to the both of u!!all i know is that i was looking @ Kona Reef Condos so have no idea where that is!!!and if there's any activity close by??:)

SLC, Utah
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: time from airport to kona?

So now I am a little worried. Our plane lands at 3:20 pm on a Friday. I was hoping to pick up our snorkel gear at Snorkel Bob's before heading up to the Kohala Coast. We have to get our rental car first, and Snorkel Bob's closes at 5 pm. Now that I'm reading this, it sounds like we won't make it to Kona until after the shop closes. Is this true?

--MKSpring

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: time from airport to kona?

That's the worst time of the day and if you have to wait to get your suitcases and wait to get your car you might not make it to Kona before the shop closes. Maybe one of you can go to P/U the car while the other is waiting for the suitcases, that could save you 30 minutes.

SLC, Utah
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: time from airport to kona?

I guess I'll leave my husband at the baggage claim while I pick up the car, and we'll hope for the best in getting to Kona. I would plan to come back to Kona to get the snorkel gear another day, but the only other time available in our itinerary for a Kona trip is five days into our seven day vacation. I wanted to rent for a week. Is there anywhere to rent the gear in the Kohala area (and not obscenely expensive) in case we can't make it to Snorkel Bob's?

Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack this thread!

--MKSpring