We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krispy Kreme

Florida
11 posts
Save Topic
Krispy Kreme

Help! Last year at this time we were awaiting our flight home from Honolulu and noticed many people carrying Krispy Kreme boxes. They were arriving passengers from Kona. It was a mystery to us then and still is ... can anyone enlighten us?

Just curious as we are coming to Kona in two weeks and don't want to miss something special.

Thanks for your help

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Krispy Kreme

Right-on flippr! You'll arrive while the "Caramel Kreme (toffe) Crunch" is still the feature of the month; may very well make your top 10 (well, maybe 100) Hoots of Hawaii. Might want to ask for extra icing, in a separate container, for the Original glazed; they were yummy, but a pint low on the load I purchased.

Ok typically, no debate from this side of the pastry gallery on Malasadas, but you need to have sympathy for the KK addicts of the world. Also, as a thin guy, you are forgiven for omitting the virtues of the Malasada A la mode (mac nut ice cream recommended). This concoction is best enjoyed in the privacy of your Lanai where the sounds of oinking will be drowned-out by the breakers.

Wailuku, Maui
Level Contributor
304 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Krispy Kreme

Hey guys, KK opened up here in Maui last year. It's right down the street from the airport. A friend worked there and I know that they don't have one on Oahu either, but that they get huge orders from Oahu, box them up and send them off to individual stores in the morning flights, (guess you have to just nuke them to bring them back to life) stores sell them at outrageous prices there compared to what you can buy them in the store here.

Maybe they have the same service? Half the time people order them here and pick them up on their flights out. Same as when we all travel other islands they have their "specialties", like Big Island proteas!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Krispy Kreme

Kamaainawannabe, trust me, I know the A'la Mode as well as the various filled Malasadas. In fact, I always sneak one Bavarian Creme-filled one into my order when the missus is not watching! :) Needless to say, I go for the KK when I am on the mainland. :)

Colorado
Level Contributor
193 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Krispy Kreme

If your driving up north, you MUST try the Malasada at Tex's Drive In. The pepper jelly are to die for. We drove north from Kona to Hilo. It made a great rest stop...

http://www.texdrivein.com/abouttex.html

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,468 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Krispy Kreme

Malasadas are good, but they are a little over-hyped in my book...

My favorite "local" sweets:

Andagi, the deep fried Okinowan donut hole.

Alani (particularly coconut).

Sweet Mochi (particularly the filled ones with the crispy shell from Maui).

Have to loosen the belt two notches just thinking about 'em.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Krispy Kreme

Niiice going Amber; my cholesterol level jumped 40 points just reading your post!

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona