We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plate Lunch

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
81 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Plate Lunch

Will be on the Big Island in October. Looking for places that serve good plate lunch in the Kailua-Kona area. Thanks for your help!

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plate Lunch

U Top It is fantastic. The Teriyaki Beef was our favorite. There is a choice of sides including veggies, rice, potato/mac salad, etc..

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plate Lunch

That's not a "real" plate lunch Jennifer. The real plate lunch has no "choices," it is two scoops of rice, one scoop of macaroni salad and some kind of meat. I don't eat plate lunch because I would rather die face down in a bowl of spaghetti, :):):), but there are three well known plate lunch places in Kona: Big Island Grill, L&L Hawaiian BBQ and Kamuela Deli.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plate Lunch

>>> I don't eat plate lunch because I would rather die face down in a bowl of spaghetti, :):):)

Me too! Couldn't have said it better. ;-)

Another plate lunch option: Kay's Kitchen inside Matsuyama Market on the upper highway. (near the intersection of 190/Palani with Kai'iminani).

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plate Lunch

Haven't been there in a while, but Pine Trees Cafe has also been consistantly good in the times I've been there. I'll flat out say that L&L's garlic mahi plate is one of the best value plate lunch meals I've had. If you're heading through Waimea, the Hawaiian Style Cafe has plate lunch on steriods at a bargain price.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plate Lunch

I know....and I don't think any of us ordered it plate lunch style, even though you could! We were by an L & L over the weekend and we debated going there for dinner and we got to talking about how amazing that teriyaki beef was at U Top It. In our party of 5, 1 person had ordered it and we all kept stealing pieces of his meat.

I like the comment about the spaghetti :)

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plate Lunch

I was wrong with my L&L posting, it's not "L&L Hawaiian BBQ" at the Kopiko Plaza, it's L&L Drive-Inn. Regardless, I still would go for the spaghetti! :):):)

Granada Hills, Ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plate Lunch

We were there at the end of July, and I was looking for trad. plate lunch as well...just happened on this place by accident...it's an old bus on the right side of Akoni Pule Hwy. (270) Just past where Kawaihae Harbor Rd splits off it's right across Akoni Pule Hwy from The Kohala Burger and Taco place...under some trees on the right. It was quite good and reasonable with a good assortment of items. Looked like it could have been mother and daughter.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plate Lunch

Isn't that by the fish market?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plate Lunch

While this is a really old thread....(Thought 1 yr was the Max for being inactive)....the OP specifically come and gone.....

Food locales always seem relevant.

KK...your instincts are right. It sure sounds like the "Da Fish House" "Hale I'a" in Kawaihae

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60942-d20…

There are 2 pics in the link of both establishments. We love this spot. Unbelievably fresh fish.

Granada Hills, Ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plate Lunch

Wanderlust.......does it really matter?

While this is a really old thread....(Thought 1 yr was the Max for being inactive)....the OP specifically come and gone.....

The "lunch truck" shown in picture two is specifically what I was referring to.

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona