We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where the locals go to grab a beer

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Where the locals go to grab a beer

We're heading to the BI in Oct. and hoping to stay away from the 'touristy' places.

We like friendly, local places to relax after a a long day of relaxing! Somewhere the beer is cold and the food is good and cheap.

We'll be staying in a condo somewhere in Kona (exactly which one I'm not sure yet) ... But we'll have a car, so travelling isn't a problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Tina

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where the locals go to grab a beer

At all the places listed... they ar pretty much all very touristy... but fun and nice

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,237 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Where the locals go to grab a beer

Dan...

While the local patrons may not enjoy a tourist invasion of "their" joint.

You have to admit ALL of the owners would still love to have the dollars they bring in the front door. And, considering the competitiveness of the food and beverage sector, coupled with the high cost of living in Kona, most could certainly use the additional sales.

Sooooo...

Drink up Shriners!

(with apologies to George Carlin)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Where the locals go to grab a beer

As someone who lives in a rather touristy New York City, I am always impressed when visitors manage to find my out-of-the-way hangouts. It usually shows that they are putting in some effort into going beyond the tour books and really care to see what life in the big apple is like beyond Times Square.

Look, I understand the need to be relaxed when you are away from work, but I'm wondering how many natives have ever experienced a non-native walking up to them in a "local" bar or "local" beach and asking them to fetch a drink or valet park their car.

I also wonder why TripAdvisor made hawaiidan a local expert? I now have a bias towards everything he posts since it may be likely that he's not really giving an honest answer but only one that will keep the "tourists" from his favorite places.

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Where the locals go to grab a beer

ALoha tina, yes I guess a hornets nest was stirred up by suggesting a visit to a local bar. How warped, I suppose the local pubs in Ireland, Scotland, and for me San Franciso are off limits too. If you are that tired after working in a tourist economy then go home. Really HD it's not like your some celebrity that is going to be discovered. Besides you have lived in Kona for a short time and as I recall from Calif. too so relax and let others enjoy. SHARE BRO

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where the locals go to grab a beer

I completely understand what Hawaiidan is saying. I don't percieve an elitist additude, everyone needs their space. I forget that Hawaii has a huge travel industry and that many locals work to support it. Heck, after a full day of work, I don't want to be bothered by ANYONE! :)

As a traveller all I've ever want is to feel like a part of my new environment. I prefer to "blend in" and try my best to be an informed visitor instead of a questioning tourist. That's why I like these forums, there are locals and visitors alike, everyone has their own ideas and perspectives, but it's a great resource for someone like me. Keep up the good work!

Thanks again for all the help!