We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to stay

northern california
3 posts
Save Topic
places to stay

My two middle aged,happily married woman ,friends and I are lookin for a place to stay near the Kona side from Feb 17-24th. It seems I have waited too long to rent anything. Does anyone know how the King Hamm? hotel is? That is about the only thing that is available, but I havent read very good reviews about it. Thanks for any imput.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keauhou, HI
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: places to stay

I think you mean the King Kam, short for King Kamehameha. If that's the only place that's available I would suggest you cancel your trip and book when you can find a decent place. Have you tried: Outrigger Kanaloa at Keauhou or the Outrigger Ohana Beach Resort ? Or the newly refurbished Sheraton at Keauhou Bay? Or perhaps the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel over on Hilo side? Or look at some of the condo websites like VRBO.com that list private homes and condos on the Big Island. But unfortunately the King Kam is not an option. Not unless you want to bring along your own cleaning crew.

Mentioned in this post
Kanaloa at Kona
Kanaloa at Kona
847 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
northern california
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: places to stay

Thanks for the info. I'll try some of your suggestions. Thanks again.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: places to stay

We rented a two bedroom cottage at the Cedar House Bed and Breakfast near Captain Cook (south of Kona)--there is a queen bed in one room, a double in the other, and I think the futon in the living room folds out. This might not be what you are looking for, but they also have rooms at the main house B&B part. With the cottage we had the living room/dining room, a small kitchen, a small bath (shower, no tub), the two bedrooms, and a nice lania. It was clean and comfortable (my husband is a talented DIY guy and complained that they were sloppy painters (the cottage had a fairly new and bright tropical green and yellow paint theme) but I liked it. They provided a simple breakfast of various fruits, fresh breads---banana, pecan loaf, cranberry orange, etc.--and their own home grown coffee--excellent if you are coffee drinkers. They also had milk and juice in the fridge--we liked the convenience of having the stove and fridge for storing/re-heating carry out foods, and for snacks, pop, etc. This is a very pretty property, up on the mountain side of the road--it's a residential area but you don't see any neighbors from the cottage, and the owners were great. They have a very nice black lab who greets you but sticks close to the main house, and a very sweet cat who thinks she owns the cottage (she's not allowed inside but sat on the deck and talked to us every morning). There is a porch swing and patio table and chairs on the lanai as well. It is worth investigating if you wouldn't mind being outside of Kona a bit (lots of fun things to do on the south end of Kona, so it didn't bother us to have our "base camp" in Captain Cook). Good luck on getting the accommodations you want, and have a wonderful trip--the Big Island is our favorite spot on Earth!

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
northern california
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: places to stay

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to stay

the others are right.....King Kam is a dive.... but has a good seafood buffet on friday....... rent a condo in Wakoloa Village to the north very reasonasble and enjoy.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places to stay

Been to Hawaii 23 of past 25 years & discovered Hale Kona Kai last year. Absolutely love the place; one of our top three in all the Islands. Next door to Royal Kona Hotel & short stroll to town..

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
712 Reviews
Maui, HI
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
3,140 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Riverhead NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: places to stay

Hey Grammy, I know of a 2 bedroom condo that I would BUY. Condos are a great deal on BI (Big Island) as they are plentiful and allow you to have meals at home. Check out the Banyan Tree - it is oceanfront - and you can check out the surfers from your room! This is a popular surfing place for locals.

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona