We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KOA-- Dollar vs Alamo car rental

connecticut
Level Contributor
108 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
KOA-- Dollar vs Alamo car rental

Aloha,

Does anyone have any current info on renting from either of these agencies? Previously I have used Avis but their rates are much higher and I can get better prices at Dollar and Alamo.

Would love to hear anything....good or bad....about renting from them.

Mahalo,

CT Lady

Canada
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: KOA-- Dollar vs Alamo car rental

So... Was that a "complimentary" upgrade to a minivan that you declined ........in order to wait for the compact?

I agree Alamo at KOA is so accommodating to make things right. We Accepted a luxury class complimentary upgrade for some minor inconvenience at KOA a while back. Nice gesture on their part.

You can't go wrong with Alamo...super friendly and accommodating staff..... Aiming to please the customer.....choice of brand, color, model year...you name it.

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: KOA-- Dollar vs Alamo car rental

Would never use Dollar again....was told by the check in clerk that a new law required us to pay the daily rate if we had an accident until the repair was made. The girl then added that even simple repairs take weeks on Hawaii. I tried calling my insurance company but couldn't reach them - thanks GEICO. I felt I had to take the insurance because I had no idea if the clerk was telling the truth. Overall I found Dollar very deceptive to deal with.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: KOA-- Dollar vs Alamo car rental

Most of the agencies(if not all) will charge the renter a "loss of use fee" when their car is out of commission due to an accident.

It is up to the consumer to be aware what type of coverage they hold . A good private comprehensive package will include, collision, theft, loss of use and most importantly...liability.

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: KOA-- Dollar vs Alamo car rental

I got a small car for a week from Alamo for $134 PLUS TAXES which took the price to $202 (50% TAX> YES!) at www.DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: KOA-- Dollar vs Alamo car rental

I am renting a small Alamo car for $134 per week PLUS 50% TAX taking the total to $202 from these folks.Seems reliable as I received a confirmation number from Alamo.

www.DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com

Alaska
Level Contributor
53 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: KOA-- Dollar vs Alamo car rental

Hi CT lady,

I have been checking the rates via KAYAK, ORBITZ, traveloc... the rates fluctuate quite dramatically eventhough I am looking to rent from Dollar. Over the past 4 weeks the rental for a week went from $351.00/week including taxes from ORBITZ. then a week ago to $285.00/week via aloharental and then this morning via KAYAK with Dollar I got a full size car including taxes for $$193.17/week. Although I had to monitor the rates closely I think I have found my best deal with KAYAK and Dollar. so if you have time I would monitor KAYAK and check daily...

Edited: 4:28 pm, January 10, 2013
Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: KOA-- Dollar vs Alamo car rental

I got a great all inclusive rate for Dollar via www.DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com and had no problems at all with the car or service when picking up. There was no pushy sales from the staff as written in other reviews. The line of people was long so it took 45min to get served, but I suspect the non-English speaking customers are partially responsible for this. If you`re a Hilton Grand Vacation member, there is a separate line with no one in it so you get served very quickly. We also used Dollar in Waikiki with no problem.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: KOA-- Dollar vs Alamo car rental

I've used both and they're fine. Just pick the one with the best price for the car you want.

Miamisburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: KOA-- Dollar vs Alamo car rental

Bingo--go with what is cheapest. All rental car companies are scummy. I've always rented through dollar in KOA because I rent a lot through work with dollar and get rewards. Haven't had issues in kona but have at some of their other locations in the lower 48. Any company can seem great or crummy on any given day. Check with your car insurance or credit card. A lot cover the crap rental companies want to charge you an arm or a leg for.

Port Hedland...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: KOA-- Dollar vs Alamo car rental

Be careful with dollar Kona airport. We rented a car in April 2014 and prepaid (before going on holidays). After waiting in the que for a long long time to collect our car we were offered a upgrade 'special' SPECIAL MY A**! We prepaid $572.66 and the special upgrade cost us an extra $1805.00. We were never told verbally the cost of the upgrade but it was written in the fine print to cover themselves.