We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Kona Resort

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Columbia, TX
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Kona Resort

We have prepaid for 5 nights at the Royal Kona Resort for the middle of Feb. 2005 and have just seen where the reviews have become very uncomplimentary to the resort has anyone been there recently that has a decent review

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
589 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Kona Resort

My brother and his wife spent their honeymoon here about 4 months ago. They were on a tight, tight budget, and this fit.

They said the staff was excellent, and they were treated very well. The room was worn a bit, but it was clean. It was what they expected, having been to Hawaii many times before (but not to the Big Island). My SIL said of course it wasn't anything fancy, it's old, but it was Hawaii, and they were happy to be there. She heard others complaining, and actually asked a lady what she was expecting for less than 1/2 the room price over the big resorts.

I think it's a moderate property, and to me that means pretty basic furnishings and ameneties. It is on the ocean (they told me they could go down a small ladder off the rocks into the ocean to snorkel--and that it was fantastic). If you're picky, you may be unhappy. If you go with the flow, and realize that it's nothing fantastic, you'll be happy with it.

Wilmette, IL
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Kona Resort

We went there last year and are planning to go again soon, my parents just got back yesterday from there. (they have stayed at the Royal Kona every year for the past 10 years!--they appreciate the value)

It was probably in its golry in the 70's but we were on a budget and loved it! it is close to everything and again.....what do you expect for 1/2 price!....the free breakfast was great, but I'd go somewhere else for dinner! My parents said that they are in the process of remodeling and they were upgraded to a new room....not fancy but nice. Our first room had a leak and they upgraded us to a corner room....it had the most beautiful view and we could hear the Lua's. If you are expecting a world class hotel, forget it....if you are happy to be there....it is a great value! The staff was friendly and helpful.......giving us a good deal on staying until 10 pm the night of our flight out. The rooms were a bit dreary and run down, but clean......try to get a corner room...the view is great! The pics on the website are accurate.

Palo Alto
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Kona Resort

We stayed there on Jan 1, 2005. We had 2 rooms on the 2nd floor, smoking rooms with ocean views. I was very disappointed with the condition of the rooms and the general condition of the buildings. We had the Sunday brunch and it was not very good and expensive. We had a drink in the open air bar which was expensive and not much alcohol. I would not stay there again, we enjoyed being right on the water, you can hear the waves while you sleep, however, you really don't have a beach to walk on. It is all black lava rock. It is also in a very commerical area which wasn't my preference. You may like that if you want to go shopping and go to restaurants without driving.

Honolulu, Hawaii
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Kona Resort

any property near the beach no matter what the view is, is going to be "decent".

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona