We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BI visit next week

Denver, CO
5 posts
Save Topic
BI visit next week

Does anyone know where Kula Kai Carverns is located? Do you recommend it? How long a drive is it from Casa De Emdecko to Waipi'o Valley? Recommendation on tour of coffee farm? Is there any night life in Kona for early 20 something year olds?

Hawaiidan- We are thinking of renting a truck from Harper's to drive to summit of Mauna Kea. You mentioned Keck telescope does a free tour on Sat/ Sun @ 1pm from visitor's center. Do we drive to summit with this tour, is it dark enough leaving at 1pm to see stars? How long a drive is it from Casa de Emdecko to Visitor's Center?

Big Island Duck Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Bus Tours, Duck Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Epic! Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Gray Line - Polynesian Adventure Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BI visit next week

Kalua kai is south of Kona about 38 miles . I have tried to contact them by phone and e-mail but never had them return a call or e-mail It is a very small place not easy to find.. After a year of trying to contact them I gave up.... you might fare better. From what I know it is an interesting cave.

The Volcano offers wild cave tours on wed, mornings for free.... call the park it is a better cave to see and is with park naturalists.

As for Mauna Kea, the 1 pm tour is you drive to the top with a guide and see the summit and tour several scopes... then descend to a star party at 6 pm at the 9000 foot level and it will be DARK

From Casa E it will be a good 2.5 hours to the center. you might do it in 2 but allow 2,5

Kona is built around young beach goers...

Fron casa E to waipio overlook it is about 3 hours via 19.... DOnt drive in the valley take a tour.....even harper says keep out.

Pahoa HI
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BI visit next week

Aloha, Kula Kai caverns are in Oceanview, about 50 miles south of Kailua-Kona. They have a website- www.kulakaicaverns.com

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona