We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does the BI offer?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philly
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
What does the BI offer?

We are planning our honeymoon and trying to decide if we should take 2-3 days on the BI.

The trip will be 14 days.

We are going to Kauai (Hyatt) and Maui (either Four Seasons or Ritz) as well.

(Yes, bought the Revealed books for these.)

We were told Four Seasons on BI is the nicest hotel in Hawaii. Given the price $625/night we are deciding if we should save it for another trip or enjoy it. All I know about the BI is there is a volcano there..

Please tell me what I'd find in the BI that I wouldn't get elsewhere...

Thanks for the advice

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What does the BI offer?

The big island is BIG. There are lots of things to see and do -- best snorkelling around; the volcano can easily take up a couple of days if you are interested in that; lots of things to see: black sand beach, green sand beach, waterfalls, rain forests, Mauna Kea if you're into stargazing (or treacherous skiing in the winter months), huge ranches, nice beaches, great resorts (FS but also Mauna Lani bay Hotel, Kona Village Resort), coffee farms, historical sites. Every island really has its own personality -- and the Big Island is probably my favorite.

But, if you are only planning 2-3 days, I'd save it for another trip when you have more time. Plus you are on your honeymoon -- better to relax and chill than to spend time running around to catch flights, etc. There's plenty of Maui and Kauai to split your time between.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
567 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What does the BI offer?

I just got back from the BI, it was our first trip to Hawaii and the only island we went too.

It is great but you really need to stay a couple days.

There are alot of beautiful hotels and resorts that are not $600/night.

The beachy/touristy part of the island is Kona, and the beautiful outdoorsty part of it is Hilo.

The top of Mauna Kea and Loa are awesome for stargazing.

The live volcano Kiluea pouring lava into the ocean at night is awesome.

Hilo had a few beautiful water fall natural parks.

I think it is a terrific island, but it is the only one I saw so i cannot compare it to the others.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What does the BI offer?

Basically, in my opinion, the Big Island is all about exploring, snorkeling, diving, hiking to the volcano, star gazing on the top of Mauna Kea, in other words a more athletic, outdoorsy place to go. But, by looking at the types of accommodations you are choosing, I think you would prefer Maui which offers more partying, shopping, dining experiences although there are lots of exploring opportunities they are more in the background. Also, I agree with others 2-3 days is not enough to see this big, beautiful island and I would save it for another trip.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What does the BI offer?

I've been to the Kona Village Resort, which is next door to the Four Seasons. Both are awesome resorts; each is different in their own ways.

The #1 site to see on the Big Island is the volcano, but the volcano is 3 hours away from the Four Seasons. It's simply impractical to stay at the Four Seasons and then spend all of your time at the volcano; you're paying for a lot of luxuries that you won't be taking advantage of.

I'd be tempted to "save the Big Island" for another trip. Changing islands will cost you about a half day each time when you factor turning in rental cars, checking in, flights, and getting a new car.

To put in in perspective, we usually spend 13 days every year on the Big Island; 7 days luxuriating at the Kona Village Resort and 6 days touring the island. We could easily spend more time doing both.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What does the BI offer?

I agree with konagirl. The Big Island lives up to its name and deserves a trip of its own. Save the time of inter-island travel for spending another full day on Kauai or Maui. After about 10 trips to the islands without a stop on the BI, we made our first trip there 2 years ago, and now are leaving for our third visit there this week. I do feel that the Four Seasons on the BI is the best resort in the islands, and if you can manage a future trip there, do it.

Philly
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What does the BI offer?

Thanks all.

We've taken your advice.

We are going to Kaua (Hyatt) and Maui (Four Seasons) for the honeymoon.

Can't wait.

Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What does the BI offer?

Just came back from Maui and BI. Stayed at Grand Wailea, was supposed to stay at 4S on Maui but didn't like the rooms. Booked 4S at Hualalai as an after-thought for 4 nights and once got there was sorry ever went to Maui. The resort at Hualalai is magnificent and very romantic. If you want to run around on your honeymoon with lots of activities, more to do on Maui. We ended up staying 6 nights at Hualalai and never left except to take a helicopter tour with Blue Hawaiian that we didn't like very much. We relaxed, used the spa and just enjoyed. I haven't been to Kauai so can't comment on it but if I go back to Hawaii, going right to 4S on Hualalai. But again, we go to relax, not run around, although we did a bit of that on Maui. We splurged on oceanfront room at Hualalai. In Maui wouldn't want to sit in room a bit even though view is nice. At Hualalai the ocean was feet from our lanai and I could sit and just stare for some time......loved sleeping with the crashing waves....So even for a few nights might be worth it on the back end just to stay at the resort without running around, no need to.......

Good luck and congrats....

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona