We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruises vs land vac

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malone, washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cruises vs land vac

Going to Big Island Nov 2006. Thoughts on two week vac on Big Island or cruising all islands Thanks

Escondido...
Level Contributor
848 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruises vs land vac

Dair - I would recommend a cruise only to those who have never been to Hawaii. This could give you an opportunity to experience, albeit briefly, the four major islands so you know which one or two you would like to re-visit for a longer period. We just returned from a two week vacation on the Big Island....it's my favorite and my wife's second favorite (Maui). Plenty to see and do, especially if you're into water activities. If interested, our vacation photos are posted at:

http://sceneisle.myphotoalbum.com

midwest
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cruises vs land vac

Another option for a first time visitor is a tour such as YMT Vacations offers. We've talked to people who have taken their 15 day four island one. Apparently there's no frills, but you hit the high spots and get around enough to see if you want to come back and do it on your own. And you will hone your suitcase packing skills.

Cruises can be great but usually you're limited as to how much shore time you get.

The BI is our favorite.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruises vs land vac

having done both... and with you never having visited, the cruise is the best option in time and money

Malone, washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cruises vs land vac

Sceneisle,

What great pictures. Thank You.

Lowandan what does YMT stand for.

We have been to Maui 2 weeks.

Kauai 2 weeks.

And we like to explore. IT sounds like BI has alot to see. So wondering if we would have a hard time just pulling in for the day.

Adair

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cruises vs land vac

I guess it depends on what your priorities are. If you want to say that you've been to all of the islands but don't really want to stop anywhere for long, then do a cruise. If you want an easy trip where you don't have to unpack and your planning is done for you, then a cruise would probably be great then, too. But cruise ships provide similar experiences wherever they are... if your main priority is to relax and eat a lot on the boat, you might be better off on a cheaper Caribbean trip.

This is just my humble opinion... but since you asked... I couldn't imagine going all the way to Hawaii to be stuck on a cruise ship! For me, the best parts of cruising are #1 - the food, and #2 - relaxing onboard & enjoying the ship. But there is too much to do in Hawaii to be wasting any amount of time hanging around on a ship. And part of the fun of traveling, especially in Hawaii, is enjoying all of the local food... but you've already paid for yours on the ship. I don't know. A lot of people would disagree with me on this, but for me a Hawaii cruise would be a waste of effort and money. I'd rather be out adventuring every minute that I can if I'm going to be all the way over there. Or at least get to choose when I get to explore, rather than having to depend on whenever the ship docks.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
385 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cruises vs land vac

What Ladyreed said, "ditto".

Other than coast line, you will not see much of Hawaii during a cruise.

Malone, washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cruises vs land vac

Well put, and thank you for your humble opinion. I think were going to stay on Big Island for two weeks. I love these forum's.

Adair& Bruce

midwest
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: cruises vs land vac

Sorry for the late reply.

YMT is Your Man Tours, they have web site.

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona