We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilo Hotels

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orange County
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hilo Hotels

Any recommendations for a great Hilo Hotel or condo???

THX!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilo Hotels

Hilo is a working town and as such has less than resort services and facilities... Its hotels are more tolerated than enjoyed.. all old and in need . Everything is spread out except for a tiny 1930 era down-town main street a few blocks long..

You need to read the reviews by others...and not just my opinion.... I think you will be able to form your own opinion then....

The resorts and condos and beaches are all on the west coast....for a reason

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilo Hotels

Aloha Mays, Hilo is an older city where many locals live. It is worthseeing as there are many nice sites to see. The Hilo Hawaiian is an older but ok place. Check the Hilo Hotel site and there are many places to choose from. The east side is rainy but less expense. ENJOY

Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilo Hotels

I had a friend who stayed at the Hawaiian for a convention a couple of months ago and said it was fine...and I also met a woman over the weekend who was staying there - she said it was a bit musty, but of course, it is a very damp area.

In retrospect, I wish that I'd spent a couple of days there rather than just rushing through....there seemed to be a lot of waterfalls and local parks and such that I would have liked to have visited.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilo Hotels

Depends on your definition of great and what you want to do in and around Hilo. If you are staying in Hilo because you want to visit Volcano National Park and plan to be at the park more than in town, then you might want to consider staying at one of the B&B's in Volcano Village.

I have stayed at the Hilo Hawaiian and it was ok. (I got a very good room car flight deal from Expedia, and it is one of the best hotels along Bayon Drive where most Hilo hotels are located.) The room was very spacious and clean and we got the ocean front room so had a great view of Hilo Bay. Hotel needs renovation, part of the garage would get flooded after a big rain. (Hilo is the rainiest city in US.) We were not in the room much so really the only requirement for us is that it is clean. No nightlife at the hotel. I think there's a bar in Uncle Billy's 2 hotel away. Pool is smallish with no jacuzi that I see. No beach at the hotel, but I think none of the Hilo Hotels are beach front -- water front, yes; beach front, no. I did not notice any hotel spa offerings, but that could be because I did not stay in the hotel long enough to check that out.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
706 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilo Hotels

Go with a B&B, we did the Hilo hotel thing and it was not great, this time we did a B&B and loved it......I would do a B&B anytime...

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilo Hotels

Everyone has a different opinion, I know.

Last year, we went to Hilo without reservations. We had checked out some really nice B&B's down toward Volcano, but they were sold out.

In Hilo, we first stayed at the Hotel Naniloa, and this place was a dump! The hallways were dark, the rooms needed updated and redecorating from the floor to ceiling. The next day we moved to the Hilo Hawaiian and the lobby and rooms were nice and clean. The view was out to Hilo Bay where we watched the cruise ships come in every morning. You could also see Mauna Kea, especially if the clouds were not too low.

As a plus, at the end of Banyan Tree, there is a restaurant called Ken's House of Pancakes. This place is awesome, lots of locals there too, so you know it is good. We ate there every day!!

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilo Hotels

Aloha, right about Ken's Pancakes House. We ate there every morning too it was really good. The musty smell is from too much rain.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilo Hotels

Highly recommend staying at the Old Hawaiian B&B in Hilo. Close to the airport and inexpensive. Beautiful plantation style home in a gorgeous neighborhood. Stayed there Sept. 8 and loved it. Had a wonderful breakfast of freshly-picked fruit from the yard and freshly baked scones.

Here is their website: http://www.thebigislandvacation.com

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilo Hotels

Aloha samantha, great to hear of the B&B in hilo. Will have to try it. Thanks

TN
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilo Hotels

We stayed at the Hale Kai Hawaii B&B in Hilo. Right on the ocean and a great place to see a Pacific Ocean sunrise! We also stayed at Country Goose B&B in Volcano. Very nice and great breakfasts!

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona