We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Vs. Mauna Lani Bay Hotel?

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Vs. Mauna Lani Bay Hotel?

Planning a trip to the Kohala coast in October for our honeymoon. The goal is to spend our days at the beach lounging or in the water swimming/snorkeling...oh yeah, food is important too! We've narrowed it down to these two properties based on cost & availability. Does anyone have some insight or advice to help us make up our minds? Thanks a lot.

jmf
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Vs. Mauna Lani Bay Hotel?

We go to the Big Island one or two times a year and now, we always stay at either the Mauna Kea or the Hapuna Prince beacause of the beach. The Mauna Kea Hotel sits on the best beach - a fabulous crescent of soft sand. There is a lifeguard and plenty of beach chairs/umbrellas as well as a bar/restaurant right next to the beach. The rooms are a bit dated, but the beds are very comfortable. The rooms are clean and the service them twice a day, leaving complementary bottled water. You can also use the facilities and beach at the sister hotel Hapuna Prince. The Hapuna Pool is nicer than the Mauna Kea's. We do enjoy the restaurants - they are expensive, but all the resorts are. There are also great restaurants between a 10 and 30 minute drive from the resort. Get the breakfast package with your room as I believe they charge $26 per person for the buffet. They have some great specials on the hotel website. If you sign up for the Prince Preferred frequest guest program, thet don't charge members an advance deposit on reservations. They just take a credit card number. Also, be sure to tell them it is your honeymoon. I have not stayed at the Mauna Lani but I have visited the resort. I hear the rooms are nicer, but the beach does not compare.

Hockessin, DE
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Vs. Mauna Lani Bay Hotel?

We travel to Hawaii twice a year as well, and I agree with the other post. The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is where you want to stay. It is by far the best beach on the Big Island. Food at the resort is expensive, but there is a great place for lunch about 5 minutes north of the resort. It is Cafe Pesto in Kawaihai.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Vs. Mauna Lani Bay Hotel?

jmf & TrottG- Thanks so much for your advice. We just booked our trip & will be staying at Mauna Kea.