We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Funds for Saddle Road?

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
710 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Funds for Saddle Road?

MKL mentions a recent announcement about funds being released fro the saddle road, anyone have an ideaon timeline and upgrades?

Hamakua
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Funds for Saddle Road?

Aloha Johnny & LikenDSun,

Well, Johnny, Hawaii isn't known for being "with the times" - I think we average about 5 years behind the mainland and some folks are gonna make blanket statements since that's the sort of people they are. That's just the way the world wags I guess. Fortunately, you're a smart enough guy to know that the rental contract is what matters, not what folks say. Although it does make it hard for you to plan things since you are starting out with mis-information.

You are also correct in Waipio Road being a much more dangerous road. I can go up and down it (down is easy, it's the up part that's hard) in my truck, but it is just a regular 4WD and doesn't have low lock. I don't go on Waipio Road unless I have a compelling reason and I find the idea of folks in rented cars with not much off road or 4WD experience driving on Waipio Road to be extremely scarey.

If I was renting out cars, I wouldn't want them on Waipio Road. Nor in Waipio Valley, parts of the road there can literally eat cars. Saw a truck once misjudge where the ford was and it ended up with water over the hood. Took two BIG tow trucks and almost a full day to get it unstuck. We were camping at the time, so it did give us something to watch. It was a borrowed truck, too.

Do the horse rides go down the same road the cars use? I had somehow thought they used the trails at the back of the valley. That is almost as appalling as rookie 4WD drivers.

Hey, LikenDSun,

***************(QUOTE)

You do have a point about the contract but.....it is the people

at the agency you would have to deal with if you ran into a

problem, if you don't run into a problem it doesn't really matter

whether you are allowed or not.

***************(QUOTE)

So, we translate this as "nothing is illegal until you get caught"? Heheheh! Still sounds like risky business to me! Especially if they are holding your credit card hostage for the return of an undamaged rental car.

A hui hou,

Hotzcatz

Mountain View, CA
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Funds for Saddle Road?

A related question: is it OK to hike down and then back up that terrible road into Waipio? Steepness aside, I'm guessing that with all the laboring cars it is probably unpleasant... But worth it maybe? It would be nice to see the valley, and I'd rather not atke YET another tour. Independent minded, but not foolhardy enough to risk the rental 4WD. Thanks!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Funds for Saddle Road?

buzibu,

My wife and I were on the BI back in March of 05. We drove to the Waipio Valley lookout point and after talking with some people that had driven it we decided to give it a try. We had a Jeep Wrangler and put it in low 4wd. We had fun and no problems but it very steep and to be respected. We also forded some streams in the valley. I would not even think of driving it if it were the least bit wet, getting dark or without a 4wd. We also had a local just jump on the back of the jeep on the way down. Made us a little uncomfortable and I think he might have been looking to see if he could steal something from the backseat. The reason I think this is that half way down I guess he could sense that we were watching him and after some small-talk he saw another car coming up the hill, jumped off our jeep and into theirs without saying a word, strange... Hiking would be fine, it would really be a trek back to the top. I would research it first, I would also try to do it with another group if possible. We had a great trip to the BI and this was the only time we felt remotely uncomfortable.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Funds for Saddle Road?

all rentals , even Harper prohibits driving into this valley.

It costs 500 to 1000 to get towed out and there is a fine I think a local fine if you get caught there without 4x4.

Hotcat attitude is inexcusable and dead wrong.... rental companies do prohibit you from driving a lot of roads if anyone is 5 years behind the time it is their advice. The quote that "nothing is illegal till you get caught", is not good advice.

....... come on.

I live here, I have been several times to Waipio....I have had bad experiences each time.. It is the wild west there. a police officer I know told me to "pack heat" if I ever go in again.

This is one place you go with a tour..... not on your own...no exception.... I wont go again and I live here....OK.

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Funds for Saddle Road?

Aloha, perhpas the problem here is a generation thing. Hotzcats has lived in theislands for a long time and may know more than given credit for. Hawaii would have the tourism it has if everyone and everyting were sweekie clean. Come on HD remember "it's Hawaii hang loose bro"

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Funds for Saddle Road?

Such a shame that this is such a beautiful place but so hard to get to and a little unsafe to travel by oneself. My wife and I traveled all over the BI by ourselves and felt very safe. As noted before we did feel a little uncomfortable there as confirmed by Hawaidans comments. I would certainly defer to him. Just another word about driving down into the valley; I have extensive 4wd experience, if I were to go back to BI in the future probable would not drive it next time for fear of risking the 4wd. I certainly would try to not miss the valley. Maybe spend some money for a tour on this one.

midwest
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Funds for Saddle Road?

Bump

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona