We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendations for family travel big island

tennessee
1 post
Save Topic
recommendations for family travel big island

We're taking a 14 year old boy, a 2 year old, and a 7 year old girl to the big island for a week or so. I could use recommendations on places to stay which are family friendly but not "boring".....any ideas for this spread of ages...

ew

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendations for family travel big island

the Hilton Waikoloa is perfect for families & kids - much like a hawaiian disneyland. it would be the perfect place with lots of activities.

Central Coast, CA
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendations for family travel big island

Look at the Fairmont Orchid as well. It's on the NE coastline and we took our 12 year old son there summer before last. Not only is it beautiful but they have an incredible cove that will allow you to relax in a beach chair while the kids play in the water or surf or kayak or snorkel. It's a really wonderful, contained area. While our son was floating around on his surf board, a sea turtle came up and took a look at him. They also have a kid's club with activities. There are places to take short hikes. We took a day trip to the volcano on the other side of the island and went into town or a nearby resort for shopping or other entertainment and it is a drive, but it's a big island and you have to drive anyway.... We were entertained by the Hawaiian form of "graffitti" on the Big Island. You'll see! We loved the Orchid and left there feeling very relaxed and the Big Island became our favorite island!

Central Coast, CA
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendations for family travel big island

Sorry... I said NE coastline but the Fairmont Orchid is actually on the equally beautiful NW coastline..... ;->

Northern California
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: recommendations for family travel big island

Kahalu'u Beach Park is a great family snokling and surfing beach just south of Kailua-Kona right on Alii Drive. Its a few miles south of the main shopping and dining areas. Most of the condos and hotels are older in this area.The Ohana Keauhou Bay Resort( I think its the Outrigger now) is right next to Kahalu'u beach. The Sheraton Keauhou is currently under renovation but has a waterslide and nice pool supposedly, check first. Two other great snorkling spots are Honaunau (two step) and Ho'okena. They are not as protected as Kahalu'u. Ho'okena is basicly open water and more of local sponge or body surfing spot. We were able to swim with a pod of dolphins a couple of hundred yards off shore at Ho'okena.

Quebec
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: recommendations for family travel big island

Kona Village Resort. They have activities for kids of all ages all day long. They have an entire Keiki (children) program! The kids take part in the luau!

Beautiful Potomac...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recommendations for family travel big island

We just returned after staying at the Outrigger Fairway Villas in Waikoloa. OFV afforded us plenty of room to spread out in a nicely-furnished condo located just across the lake from the King's Shops. You can view the specifics at www.outrigger.com/hotels_specials.aspx… Be sure to check with Mary Jayne at travel-hawaii.com for possible specials. I definitely second the Hilton Waikoloa Village (www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com). This is our favorite place on the Big Island. I have heard great things about the Sheraton Keauhou south of Kona (www.sheratonkeauhou.com). The owners tell me the pools there are heated and the waterslide is fast and 50 feet longer than the Hilton's!!

Your older kids might enjoy horseback riding at Dahana Ranch in Kamuela (www.dahanaranch.com), and will definitely enjoy Flumin' Da Ditch in Hawi (flumindaditch.com).

Enjoy your trip!

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recommendations for family travel big island

kona village is great, but they don't have air conditioning - and this could be a problem during warmer weather months...

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
894 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recommendations for family travel big island

Hi,

I hate to let this secret out, but I have 3 kids about the same age as yours and they have always loved the warm lagoons at Kapoho. The ocean there is naturally heated to about 88-90 degrees, and the lava forms natural pools that are clear and full of fish and sea turtles. The kids can snorkel all day in safe and warm conditions. It's where my kids learned to snorkel before they could really swim. Pahoa is really off the beaten track; as far physically and mentally from the Hilton Waikoloa (might as well go to Disneyland), so if you go I recommend renting a house next to the lagoons for a few days, then to move onward to a more civilized area. Definately one of Hawaii's more spectacular hidden secrets.

Fremont, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: recommendations for family travel big island

We took our family to the mauna lani hotel last May ( 3 and 7 yr old girls ) and had a spectacular time! The hotel raises endangered sea turtles throughout the many fishponds situated among the hotel grounds. They also have a shark and koi pond also offering daily fishfeeding tours where we got to handfeed the koi! Lovely hotel and very educational which is partly why i picked this resort. Also went horeback riding at Dahani ranch. Very unique experience since everyone rides in a pack and not your traditional nose to tail rides that are offered on other islands. They also have family friendly snorkling boat rides that offer a bbq lunch and all the snorkling gear for little ones ( inner tubes, looking portholes, and boogie boards with portholes ). Other days we mostly shopped and sat around lounging. They have a nice secluded beach with covered chaise lounges with beach and poolside service. Grab a Lava flow and let the kids build sand castles! Have a wonderful trip and hope this helps.

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
333 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: recommendations for family travel big island

Our family of six went to the Big Island last summer and we stayed at the Mauna Lani. This hotel might still be offering their Ohana package which is 2 rooms for the price of one, which worded out great for us. The hotel was great and we loved our stay there, however, it is a very laid back, peaceful and quiet sort of place - not a lot of action. I would say that it seemed like a lot of the other hotels (Hapuna, Mauna Kea, Orchid) were similiar in that respect. We spent most mornings snorkeling at the two beaches, which the kids loved (they are 4,6,9, and 11), had lunch at the beach in the little cabanas, and then explored for the rest of the afternoon. There are also daily activities there, such as lei-making, etc. (check out their website), but we didn't do any of that since the kids wanted to be at the beach. Another option... the Four Seasons seemed like a great family friendly resort as well...there were a lot of kids there when we went over to check it out, and they had some cool pools there.