We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat snorkler rate much higher in Kona than Oahu?!

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Boat snorkler rate much higher in Kona than Oahu?!

I have been inquiring going boat diving and for my wife and friends to come together as boat snorklers/riders.

It was a bit of a surprise to find the rate for snorkler/riders much higher in Kona.

Granted it's two different island. But it's hard to understand why it's so much higher in Kona.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat snorkler rate much higher in Kona than Oahu?!

Aloha........

Thats a good question...

It might have something to do that both Diving and snorkeling are both Very Popular.

The boats here are not as large as in Oahu, as I recall, with a few exceptions.

For this reason if you have snorkel persons taking up seats on a diving boat, that would eliminate more spendy passengers who would or might pay more for the trip, and rent a lot of stuff as well.....

With seating limited by our Coast Guard, it makes it a poor business decision to take up capacity by snorkelers.

HD

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat snorkler rate much higher in Kona than Oahu?!

Well, the preference to sell boat a seat to a diver rather than snorkeler is the same in Oahu as in Kona.

I noticed (as described in a few shops' web sites) in Oahu there are some 30+ dive shops but only 11 have their own boats, several as still just 6-pak boats. The other 20+ dive shops are all buying wholesale seats for both divers and snorklers. I guess this means those 11 shops have lots more seats than they can sell direct themselves. In Kona it seems like all dive shops have their own boats.

On the other hand Oahu doesn't have as many boats primarily for snorkeling business, whereas Kona has several boats (some quite large, Body Glove, FairWind...) primarily for snorkeling. Those Kona snorkeling boats are providing "business class" snorkeling, and charge a high fee.

Most Oahu dive shops charge $30-40 for snorkeler/rider. One cattle boat even charges $25/snorkeler and $10/rider, if booking direct with them. No such pricing in Kona.

It still is the same seat in a dive boat in Oahu or in Kona. If I want to bring non-diving wife or friends on a boat in Kona, it just seem to cost so much more in Kona.

I wonder, do the dive boats in Kona have a much higher occupany rate of divers?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat snorkler rate much higher in Kona than Oahu?!

Aloha...

I don't know....but the boats here are all , for the most part, smaller like 30 footers or less and are owned by the shop.

Its , I guess, a local thing.

HD

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona