We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

outrigger keauhou or kanaloa?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Placerville...
Level Contributor
141 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
outrigger keauhou or kanaloa?

Hi!

I think I'm going to choose one of these two Outrigger hotels for the two nights I'll be in Kona...does anyone know if one is better than the other?

thanks!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: outrigger keauhou or kanaloa?

Terrie:

We just came back from our trip after staying at the Outrigger Keauhou. We really enjoyed our stay. The tide pools are a favorite, but the whole surrounding was wonderful too.

You can tell that it is an older resort and needs sprucing up a bit, but it did not detract from our experience.

Don't expect any unbiased help from the concierge though...the big push is to get you to sign up with the various allegiances that the hotel has with various vendors....So, I would skip the first day "orientation"....it is a glorifed sales pitch (a quarter-inch away from a time-share quality presentation)...

Other than that, it was a great time....We booked througg Costco Travel and got a great package deal on the hotel and rent-a-car. It included the "Big Kahuna" package for our 5-year-old son and free breakfasts (a biggie).

Have fun on your trip!

Forrest

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: outrigger keauhou or kanaloa?

Hi,

We've just spent 5 nights at the Keauhou Beach Resort and loved it (I've written my review plus photos from our room, if you want to check that out). We loved it there. Because we had breakfast (nice buffet breakfast) included in the price, we didn't go to the orientation presentation ('only' a continental breakfast!), but I agree with the previous poster about it (I used to watch from afar). You'll have got all the information you need from these forums!

If you can afford ocean-view rooms go for it. Also request a north-facing room (away from the car park and tennis courts). The grounds are delightful, and having the turtles just a stroll away is amazing. The restaurant isn't particularly cheap, but the food was good. It's not really near any other restaurants, which may influence your decision. We often ate at the restaurant because we couldn't be bothered to go out in the car to drive to Kona. I didn't particularly notice it being 'an older hotel' needing sprucing up. I thought the lobby area was quite classy. If you like a hotel with lots to do (if there was a gym I didn't notice it) it may not suit, but it does have a small pool, beauty place and an art gallery (a co-operative run by 25 local artists). But I'd go again (ocean view permitting).

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: outrigger keauhou or kanaloa?

Aloha........

The Outrigger Keauhou.......hands down. They have launched into a program of up-grading this hotel.....and it has a fantastic shorkel beach

HD

Newport Beach
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: outrigger keauhou or kanaloa?

Keahou hotel is pretty average...but in a great location...I personally feel the kohala resorts are a little less crowded and nicer/more comfortable for not much more money.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: outrigger keauhou or kanaloa?

aLOHA......

BARNEY.....MAYBE less folks is your ticket......but the snorkel at outrigger is another........ you cant have both

What ever floats your boat....

HD

Oregon
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: outrigger keauhou or kanaloa?

Kanaloa isn't a hotel ,but condo units. I have stayed at both and have liked both. But, since I have 3 kids, for me the condos are the way to go. We just drove down to Kahalu'lu beach nearly everyday from Kanaloa (only a 3 minute drive).

D