We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much drive time should I plan?

Right Where I Belong
Level Contributor
274 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How much drive time should I plan?

My family is planning a 6:30am fishing charter that leaves from Honokohau Harbor. Coming from Kona Magic Sands, how much time should we plan based on traffic at that time of morning?

4 replies to this topic
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much drive time should I plan?

There's not going to be much traffic at that time of morning. If you leave at 5:45, that should be plenty of time. I tend to be very conservative with excursions that will leave without me. You might be there by 6 if you leave then.

Right Where I Belong
Level Contributor
274 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much drive time should I plan?

"I tend to be very conservative with excursions that will leave without me".

I am as well. Unfortunately my husband and son are the ones going so...

I'll just tell them to leave at 5:45 to ensure they get there before the boat, literally, leaves without them 😁.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kailua-Kona
Level Contributor
553 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How much drive time should I plan?

There is no way that it will take them 45 minutes to drive less than ten miles to the harbor and charter boats don't leave without their charters - just make sure they have the captain's cell number. The trick is actually finding the boat in the "sea" of other boats since there are two sides to the harbor. They could just take a short trip out there ahead of time and find the boat so that they know exactly where to go and then allow at least 20 minutes to get there.

Right Where I Belong
Level Contributor
274 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much drive time should I plan?

Thanks!!

Reply to: How much drive time should I plan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona