We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lopud Island/Croatia - advice please!

Which Lopud hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Solihull
13 posts
Save Topic
Lopud Island/Croatia - advice please!

My partner and I are looking to travel to Croatia for a week at the end of July - this will be our first visit to the country.

I have been researching where to stay and have come across Lopud Island. I believe it is located about 50 minutes by boat from Dubrovnik, which appeals to us because we would be close enough to visit the city but not in the midst of the tourists. Also, I believe it has a proper sandy beach which is unusual in Croatia. I know there is a village on the island but can't find any information about what is in it (e.g. restaurants, bars), which would help us to decide whether to choose bed & breakfast or half board - we would like to have the option to eat and drink outside of our hotel. Can anyone who has visited give me some info?

As to accommodation, we like the look of Lafodia Hotel, which is due to reopen in June after a complete renovation and the pictures on their website look beautiful. However, as it has been closed for the renovation, I can't find any reviews after 2008. Again, if anyone has any info or other recommendations, this would be much appreciated.

Finally, if anyone can give me some advice about what to see/do whilst in Croatia, I would be grateful. We usually travel to beach countries, such as Egypt, Spain and Greece, so this kind of holiday is fairly new to us.

Thanks in anticipation!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lopud Island/Croatia - advice please!

I have't stayed on Lopud, but did visit on two separate day trips on the local ferry from Dubrovnik for the beach which yes, is sandy, and probably the best beach within reach of Dubrovnik. It's called Sunj and is a lovely walk over from the village of Lopud to the other side of the island and will take you around half an hour. There is a grill bar and bar there or was at least when we visited last in 2006! There is a rope in the middle, naturists to the left, swimwear to the right, my recommendation is to go to the naturist side, it's beyond lovely to swim in that translucent sea.

It's very shallow, you can wade a long way until you even get to waist height, a really stunning beach.

As for accomodation, I don't know about the hotel, but if you want to sample true hospitality, and an authentic taste of life in Croatia, you can't do better than stay in private accommodation which is generally of a very high standard and much nicer than most hotels in Croatia I think plus cheaper..it's great to make your own coffee in the morning and sit out on your own balcony. The websites for Lopud should have details of apartments in the village. About restaurants I'm fairly sure there will be a good few, certainly enough for a week.

Lopud is very sleepy and no sights of note, the only sights and nightlife near is Dubrovnik, so if you are wanting nightlife, you would have to stay in Dubrovnik itself, you could factor an overnight or two night stay there if you only have a week, but end of July will be VERY busy so probably better to book somewhere in adavance if you do.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lopud Island/Croatia - advice please!

Try this site. I am staying there for the last week of June. (you may have to copy and paste. http://www.lopud.eu/

It is a list of apartments, etc. We are doing day trips to Dubvonick, Ston, Mjet, and Korcula.

There is a grocery store in Gruz at the port so you can purchase essentials

Edited: 1:07 pm, January 24, 2011
san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lopud Island/Croatia - advice please!

My wife and I stayed in Lopud last July for a week of our honeymoon and I highly recommend it. We rented a house we found on holidaylettings.co.uk -- a good website you should have a look at if you are interested in accomodation other than a hotel.

The island itself is compact and very beautiful. There are several restaurants along the watefront on the harbor side of the island (where you will probably be staying) as well as a few on the other side of the island, where Sunj beach is. There is fresh seafood everywhere and the quality of the restaurants is good.

There are also a few bars on the waterfront that make for a good drinking view as you watch the sun set over the Adriatic.

Sunj is the large sandy beach which is quite nice, although busy -- there is a smaller sandy beach on the harbor side of the island as well.

The island is full of paths to take beautiful walks in any direction where you can find secluded picnic spots or little pieces of coast at which to have a private swim.

You are right that it is a short (and beautiful) ferry ride -- not exactly to Dubrovnik but to the Port of Gruz, which is nearby (maybe there is a ferry direct to Dubrovnik I'm not sure). Near the ferry building in Gruz is both a supermarket and a large farmer's market that can take care of any self-catering needs, should you have any.

On Lopud itself there is a small market that sells beer, wine, sausages, cheese, and a small selection of other items. Where the boats come in old ladies sell a small selection of fresh fruits and vegetables.

This place is a gem -- have a great trip!

4. Re: Lopud Island/Croatia - advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:46 pm, March 03, 2011
Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lopud Island/Croatia - advice please!

If you want to know more about Lopud please look at this website: www.Lopudreiser.no they know everything that needs to be known about Lopud. They will also help you to find a nice place to stay, in privat houses or hotel! Lovely small angency that are realy helpfull.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lopud Island/Croatia - advice please!

I think you are making a good choice. We are from the states and I have been researching Croatia for over a year, hence, we will be spending three weeks there this summer. We are using Lopud as a home base for a little over a week. We have secured an apartment for far less than the hotel. From there, we venture to the other islands by ferry. Into Dubrovnik after the cruse ships leave; rent a car and go up to Trsteno arboretum; Ston and surrounding area for oysters (supposed to be some of the best in the world). Walk the longest fortified wall in Europe. Then go over to Mljet (where St Paul was allegedly shipwreck although it could have been Malta). Taking a ferry up to Korkula for the night then a high speed catermaran to Spilt.; renting a car to drive to Plivice for the night then ending up in Rovinj for a day before catching a ferry to Venice. Oh by the by, there is a large grocery store at the port so you can get some essentials as needed and perhaps some of that Pag cheese. Have a fantastic time.

London, England
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lopud Island/Croatia - advice please!

Just come back today from 5 days on Lopud. No cars! We stayed in a great apartment with spacious bedrooms and a lovely terrace, one minute from sea front. Restful view of the hill and fort in the middle of the island. The owner couldn't do enough for us and arranged transfer from airport by taxi and speedboat! (The most beautiful speedboat - do not let a gadget happy man near it!) She is a travel agent, http://www.finestofcroatia.com/

and can advise and arrange as you wish. My 20 year old daughter just said every day "this is a great holiday; I will come back; this is wonderful". It does get busy, as rest of Croatia, in summer, but there is a park, the ferry coming and going, the walk to Sunj beach, excursions, choice of bars - really every thing you could want from a holiday and Franka goes that extra step to make it fantastic. Truly gorgeous.

Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lopud Island/Croatia - advice please!

I am Croatian, living in Zadar - a town on the coast,and have been visiting LOPUD since my childhood. I spend 3 weeks every summer - since 1968 . So I think I can advise you.

first - do not eat pizza, icecream and such things. Go to the inhabitants of the island and ask them to prepare some local food for you. In fact they do not eat anything they did not catch themselves (in the sea) or grown in their own vegetable gardens. Their average living rate is 90 years. No wonder! The restaurant "OBALA" meaning "seaside" offers excellent food as well.

Avoid hotels, even LAFODIA, I heard it reopened, but in a hotel you can not get the atmosphere. Stay with local people.

If anyone wants some more information, you can contact me any time at stanka.vitlov@zadar.net

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lopud Island/Croatia - advice please!

Stanka, any reason we shall not eat icecream and pizza? I have come to Lopud since 2000 and never had any problem with that. The homemade ice on the island is just the best ice in the world!!! The people that owns the ice cream shop and pizza places are just the most kind and friendely people!

I was on the opening of Lafodia Hotel & Resort last week. The hotel is amazing, really a great place to stay. But I understand what you mean about the good atmosphere by staying in a private house and the home made food, it is always exellent!!!

If you want to stay in a private house, make sure the house have license for renting out apartments, this is very important!

Obala has great food, for meat ask for the "Obala steak" but try aslo the fishfood, fished by the locals in Lopud.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,123 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lopud Island/Croatia - advice please!

I think Stanka thought it was just a better idea to eat traditional Croatian food. i don't think there is anything wrong with the ice cream and pizza...I enjoy both of those but its also good to dig into the meat dishes like Ćevapi and Ražnjići.

Get answers to your questions about Lopud