We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro's or Kuna

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Euro's or Kuna

Hi Everyone,

We are going to visit for our 1st time in 7 weeks staying at the Sensimer Medulin.

Anyway my Question... Is it best to take Euros to spend or to get Kuna before we leave England. Or take both ?

Thank you for your help.

Clive.

Ston, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Ston, Slano, Peljesac Peninsula, Mostar, Herzegovina-Neretva Canton
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro's or Kuna

No need to take Euros unless you are planning a day trip to Slovenia. You will get a better rate buying Kunas in Croatia, but if you have a card like the Halifax Clarity with very low rates for use abroad, you are best using an ATM machine. See Martin Lewis's site for more tips moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,405 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro's or Kuna

Very few establishments accept Euros and when they do, they give you lousy exchange rate.

It seems that fit some reason only people from UK are determined to use Euros in Croatia and it is not even their currency. I am just puzzled why.

Rju
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Euro's or Kuna

I am staying at three hotels and using two tour companies that all require payment in cash and quoted in Euros.

Ston, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Ston, Slano, Peljesac Peninsula, Mostar, Herzegovina-Neretva Canton
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Euro's or Kuna

Hotels can't insist on Euros in Croatia. They quote in Euros as that's what most guests will be familiar with. Ask how much it will be in each currency, and see which works best for you.

Rju
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Euro's or Kuna

Sorry that's wrong for the apartments. They all request Euros and cash.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,405 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euro's or Kuna

They can express their preference, but cannot insist on Euros. I have stayed in apartments and hotels in Croatia and was never asked for anything but kuna.

Rju
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Euro's or Kuna

Sorry not going to argue but have emails from about ten places all saying Euros and all saying cash. I actually cancelled one reservation thinking it sounded dodgy but then came across if again and again

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,405 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euro's or Kuna

You can say what you like. Facts are facts and the simple fact is that the only legal tender in Croatia is kuna. You pay what you want though, but don't make it sound like you have no choice but to pay Euros. It is simply not true.

Rju
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Euro's or Kuna

You are ridiculous! I have emails stating just that! Not making anything sound like what I haven't experienced. There are clearly dodgy agents who want a better rate and that show with cash only too.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,405 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Euro's or Kuna

Dodgy agents might be operating outside the law. That doesn't make me ridiculous.

I have done more transactions in Croatia than you could ever do as a tourist, including buying and selling property a number of times, furniture etc. So I think I know what I am talking about, but you can call me ridiculous if you want, even though it sounds like you haven't even been to Croatia yet.

Get answers to your questions about Medulin
More Medulin Topics