We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austrian Holiday

Rotherham
Level Contributor
50 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Austrian Holiday

For many years I have wanted to travel to Austria but never have had the opportunity until now. Knowing it will also probably be my last chance could anyone give advice on where to go if they only had one opportunity? Somewhere pretty and authentic,not a large town or high in the mountains.Chances are it would be a Thomson type holiday too.

I read one review recently where someone asked a similar question and got the totally unacceptable reply of - if you cant be bothered to plan your own trip then dont waste my time having to readthis!! Genuine replies only please for which I would be very grateful.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austrian Holiday

Hi

It is a difficult question, and a very personal one - my gorgeous may be your horrid!

However - I have been to Zell am See, Neiderau, Kitzbuhel and Seefeld, and visited on day trips other resorts. I would definately go for Seefeld - it was my first trip there this year and next year is already booked as we didn't have time to do all we wanted!

It may not fit your bill as it is a larger resort, but in my view far more user friendly than Kitzbuhel. There are loads of pleasant cafes to sit outside and watch the world go by, and many shops to browse around. You don't indicate your level of fitness or preferred activities, but Seefeld should fit most requirements - there is a lovely totally flat walk around the lake which is only 5 minutes from the town centre, there are lifts up both mountains where you can either start a walk down from or just sit on the terraces and have a coffee and then descend on the lift, or you can get a bus up to the Wildmoos which is a lovely plateau, again with a super cafe with a schnapps fountain!

If you walk or hike there are loads of opportunities. You can also get the train to Mittenwald or Garmish Partenkirchen in Germany which is a good alternative if you don't like organized trips.

If you want any more info on Seefeld or the other places I've been let me know. One other advantage of Seefeld - you fly into Innsbruck and the ransfer is only around half an hour. Hope this has helped.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austrian Holiday

Another vote for Seefeld.Very good transport links from there too.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austrian Holiday

Rotherham, Doncaster, Wirrall and now Barnsley!!!

All of the above are great Austrian choices, if you want to get around choose a place with a railway station, and in a central location ( i.e. not at the end of a valley ), so that you can get the buses to get around.

Austria is great and wherever you get too i feel sure that you will have a lovely time.

Kind Regards Derek

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austrian Holiday

Me again!

Forgot to mention in my first reply that we've also stayed in St Wolfgang in the Austrian lake district. Depending on your interests here, or St Gilgen, may fit your bill. The resorts are at a lower level and very pretty, but without the drama of the Tirol. In St W or St G you can get a ferry to the other resort, and there is the famous cog railway. St W can get busy with day tourists, although I didn't find this intrusive. The only issue though are that the resorts aren't served by a train link so to go anywhere else you will have to take a tour or a bus.

My vote would still be for Seefeld, but only right to point out the possibility of the lake district. Thompsons (and their sister company Crystal) and Inghams serve all the resorts well.

Rotherham
Level Contributor
50 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austrian Holiday

Thank you for your reply. It is very kind of you. Seefeld sounds just the ticket! We have differing levels of fitness so it sounds great for us. We were thinking may or june and have already looked at Hotel Helga. as a start. Would you recommend a week or a fortnight?

Kind Regards J.

Rotherham
Level Contributor
50 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Austrian Holiday

Thank you for your reply. It looks like Seefeld is a winner!

Kind Regards J.

Rotherham
Level Contributor
50 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Austrian Holiday

Tahnk you fro your reply. It is most kind of you and Seefeld is definitely coming out tops. Two replies from South Yorkshire and one from the Wirral. We northerners must stick together!

Kind Regards J,

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Austrian Holiday

Hi again

I don't know the Helga but from the map I've just looked at it is on the other side of the railway line to the main town - possibly a 10 minute walk? And it may be on a small hill - maybe it would be worth messaging one of the reviewers for details if this could be an issue?

I would be dubious about going in May. The Gschwandtkopfchair lift didn't start running this year until 16 June and it would be a shame not to be able to go up the mountain, as the sun terrace is delightful and there is an easy walk down (under the chair lift route) which would give you fantastic views. Weather in the Tirol is anyone's guess, but June may (and I only say may!) be more dependable than May - though this year temperatures in April and May were extreme.

One or two weeks? I would say you will have plenty to do for two weeks as you've not visited Austria before, particularly as you can use the train to get around as well as any trips you go on. If you decide to go ahead and book and would like any suggestions of 'must dos' send me a message with the sort of fitness you both are and the things you like doing.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Austrian Holiday

Seefeld is a lovely resort. Unfortunately you can never be sure of the weather in Austria, so go for 2 weeks if possible. It won't cost a whole lot more and you are more likely to get some sunshine!

Suggest you look at the hotel reviews for Seefeld on a different part of Trip Advisor.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g319732-Seefeld_in_…

Rotherham
Level Contributor
50 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Austrian Holiday

Thank you very much for your reply. It looks like we may be better off going in June or July and yes,two weeks is preferable (when going anywhere,I would suggest!). All these comments are helping me greatly to finalise my thinking on Seefeld. I just hope we get to go!

Get answers to your questions about Soll