We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

soll in january - can I exepct snow?

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
soll in january - can I exepct snow?

I'm planning on booking at week in Soll from 17 Jan, it's my first time ski-ing and I'm looking to book a learn to ski package.

Can anyone advise on the snow levels to be expected at that time of year, I read some posts where people hadn't seen much snow on the lower slopes.

Also - I'm looking at booking the Sonnenhof or Hotel Austria, does anyone know what either are like?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Paul

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,780 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: soll in january - can I exepct snow?

According to the statistics, January is normally the best month to expect snow of good quality. But there is never a quarantee that snow will be good at this time of the year as the load fluctuates. If you wanna have a kind of assurance you need to go higher.

Tirol
Level Contributor
189 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: soll in january - can I exepct snow?

This ist to you mike:

The hight of a ski area and the amount of snow do not correlate as much as you say.

I am living in the area of Kitzbuehel and I can tell you, that we have a lot of snow every year, more f.e. as the Higher mountains in South Tirol or Carinthia. The final part of the famous Streif is the lowest part of the whole ski area. Poor snow at this part (which is shown in the newspapers all the time), does not mean poor snow in the rest of the skiarea.

On kitzalps.com I faound 5 IMO good reasons why the alps of Kitzbuehel usally can offer good snow even at the end of the season:

1. Northwest orographic barrier at the Alpine Divide: One of the most prevalent weather conditions in the northwest is the cloud band over the Alpine Divide. This generates heavy snowfall in the Kitzbüheler Alpen.

2. Constant quantities of new snowfall*: The average annual snowfall in Kitzbühel has remained constant since official records commenced in 1958. Each year, more than 2.5 m of snow falls in the valley, and a total of 8 m in the mountains.

3. Winter in Hahnenkamm*: Since 1993 the Kitzbüheler Alpen region has become markedly colder. Snowfall is now a more frequently occurrence, providing more snow, which remains longer on the ground. Hahnenkamm is covered in more than 20 cm of natural snow for almost six months of the year.

4. Piste locations: The majority of the region’s pistes are found in idyllic, snow guaranteed resorts in a north, north eastern or north western geographical location, where the sun dips gently, allowing the snow to last longer on the ground.

5. Alpine grassy slopes as a base: The region’s grassy slopes offer the perfect base for snow-covered ski pistes. While ski resorts with rocky or rugged terrain require very thick layers of snow, the smooth grassy slopes of the Kitzbüheler Alpen only require a 20cm compact layer to create the perfect piste. Woods on the left and the right of the pistes prevent snowdrift.

*Source: Based on metrological data from the Innsbruck Academy for Metrology and Geology for Kitzbühel-Tal valley and Kitzbühel-Berg (Hahnenkamm) regions compiled since 1948.

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
316 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: soll in january - can I exepct snow?

Paul - as a complete beginner you don't need much snow. I'm sure there will be plenty to learn on. Most of the lower resorts boost their snow depths with snow cannon and as the previous poster says, even if it's poor low down, they will take you up a little higher and it will be fine. Enjoy your ski experience, I'm sure it will be the first of many.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: soll in january - can I exepct snow?

I am going for xmas week, beginning 20th December, and stupidly forgot to check out the height of the resort. Have i made a big mistake? It would be a nightmare not to be able to ski at xmas - I would go mad! Itr says they have 47 per cent snow making machines - is that enough? What are the chances of being able to ski - i am an intermediate, who hasn't been for five years.

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
316 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: soll in january - can I exepct snow?

Hi Paul,

it is quite early but with snow making etc you should be OK. I've been skiing at New Year the last few years in another resort at a similar height and there's always been snow, although conditions have been a bit tricky on some occasions. It's a big ski area so even if you are restricted to the upper slopes you should still get plenty of skiing.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: soll in january - can I exepct snow?

Hi totts mum

thanks for the reassurance - fingers crossed there will be enough snow to have a good week!

bromsgrove
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: soll in january - can I exepct snow?

thats the same time that we are going!

hope you have a good time and i hope it snows lots!!

Bournemouth
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: soll in january - can I exepct snow?

I learnt to snow board in Soll its very good. minimal drag lifts and lots of blue runs. I was also there last year first week in January. It snowed heavy on the 2nd day and had great powder snow all week, but as the other posts say you can never be sure there will be good snowfall. I love it so much im going back again January 2009, with over 2oo KM of pistes its awesome and all resorts are now linked. dont forget to check out the two best pubs Slaven Stadhl and the Whiskey Muhle... have fun

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: soll in january - can I exepct snow?

It's already snowing in Soll! Last year it snowed at this time and they had the best Winter season for years.

Sonnenhof belongs to a wonderful Austrian family who also run a very popular bar/restaurant called Sollerstubn which is in the village. Harry and his family are top drawer.

Soll,Austria
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: soll in january - can I exepct snow?

Have booked the same holiday - in the sonnenhof on the 17th.Conditions are looking fantastic. See you in the bar.

Rich

Get answers to your questions about Soll